Increase font size
Topic Title: Is it worth it ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05 May 2012 11:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 May 2012 11:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Dave61

Hope you experience people can help me with this.

I did 236 pts 1 & 2 with 15th edithion regs around 18 years ago,aside from friends and family domestic I never really took used the qualifications to earn a living.

I have now been made redundent from my job and have been given the chance to do the 17th edition and the part P courses.

Without any great experience in the game is there much chance that I would find work,either working for a company or for myself.

Thanks.

If this is in the wrong place I apologise.

Edited: 05 May 2012 at 11:29 AM by Dave61
 15 May 2012 07:20 AM

AndyTaylor

I wouldn't say you are in the wrong place posting here, but the 'Wiring and the regulations' forum might provide better replies;

http://www.theiet.org/forums/f...m?catid=205&entercat=y

-------------------------
Andy Taylor CEng MIET
 17 May 2012 11:38 PM

peteTLM

welcome Dave,
Things have changed massively in just the last 7 years. The 17th edition courses (maybe the 4 day version) would be a great place to start things off. A building regs course such as an EAL one would illustrate changes in that area (holes in joists are regulated, energy efficiency etc). To work on a 'proper' site you would need an ECS card, which is a simple health and safety test, a photo, and waiting for ages for the jib to send you one.
id recommend working with someone who is established (and suitably registered and qualified) to find your feet.

You would be expected to be able to perform some basic electrical tests nowadays, rather than just a bang test, so a basic testing course might be good.
There is tons of work out there, you just need to find the right channel as such to find it and get it.

Lights are looped in at the lightswitch now to avoid any problems with fancy lights being fitted.
Choc strip connectors must be enclosed (exposed screws etc no acceptable, and tape isnt insulation)- use choc boxes.
junction boxes are out, unless they are easily (read not under floorboards) accessable.
Everything domestic is on an rcd.

Have a read of the new green on site guide to see what we have to put up with!

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 01 June 2012 05:10 PM

scottseedell

Sorry for timewasting. I wasn't intending on adding any useful information to the thread, I just wanted to see what my new signature looked like once I had posted!

Cheers

Scott Seedell - BSc(Hons) IEng MIET
 01 June 2012 05:11 PM

scottseedell

Looks just fine.
Thanks

Scott Seedell - BSc(Hons) IEng MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.