Increase font size
Topic Title: BEng or BEng (Honours) - to do or not do for CEng
Topic Summary:
Created On: 30 April 2012 11:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 April 2012 11:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chrismcf

I have a dilema - currently I am IEng ( 8 months ago) and have almost completed the 4th year of 6 for a part time degree in Electrical Engineering at a scottish Uni, the course is acredited by the IET.
My goal is to become CEng as soon as possible to allow for emigration to Canada.
I work for a large power company, write specifcations and deliver technically complicated transmission multi million pound projects. I have over 10 years work expereince.
I have 2 choices either A) Stay on and complete BEng honours degree - this will take 2 years of further education and delay my families plans
B) Complete a BEng in 6 months time ( no honours) and apply for CEng now.
With option B and my relevant work experince am I eligabile to apply and acheive CEng?
I previously sent CV to PAR and and I may require more in competencies A+B.
Can anyone assist if they believe staying on at Uni for an extra 18 months is worth it to acheive an Honours qualification, or should I just go for normal BEng??
Many thanks
 30 April 2012 02:37 PM

chrismcf

CAn anyone please advise? Much appreciated
 30 April 2012 07:38 PM

icoggan

This does not seem to be a question about your competency for CEng - or how you might go about that. It seems to be more a question about the Visa entry requirements to work in Canada - I am sure there are other routes than just being CEng to a Visa?

If you are at university then the best people to speak to regarding your course and the pace at which it is proceeding would be the course tutors. Perhaps there are other options to speed up the progress your are making such as summer modules?

It is very difficult for anyone to state if any additional part-time study will be 'worth it' as when you obtain the (university) qualification there may be no monetary reward from your present employer, indeed when you obtain your CEng the same may be true....
 01 May 2012 04:14 AM

alamatec

Originally posted by: chrismcf

I have a dilema - currently I am IEng ( 8 months ago) and have almost completed the 4th year of 6 for a part time degree in Electrical Engineering at a scottish Uni, the course is acredited by the IET.

My goal is to become CEng as soon as possible to allow for emigration to Canada.

I work for a large power company, write specifcations and deliver technically complicated transmission multi million pound projects. I have over 10 years work expereince.

I have 2 choices either A) Stay on and complete BEng honours degree - this will take 2 years of further education and delay my families plans

B) Complete a BEng in 6 months time ( no honours) and apply for CEng now.

With option B and my relevant work experince am I eligabile to apply and acheive CEng?

I previously sent CV to PAR and and I may require more in competencies A+B.

Can anyone assist if they believe staying on at Uni for an extra 18 months is worth it to acheive an Honours qualification, or should I just go for normal BEng??

Many thanks

From my experience of migrating to Australia I would strongly advise that you do the honours. It's very stressful moving countries and jobs and you may not be able to find an employer to support further study or the job demands or location may prevent it. I would do it whilst you have the opportunity. Don't worry Canada will still need engineers in 2 years time.
 02 May 2012 08:12 PM

chrismcf

Thanks for the reply - the question is:

1.With relevant work experince to meet the competences can I acheive CEng with a BEng in electrical engineering or do I require BEng (Honours)?

2.I am 35, what benefits does Honours give me over BEng?( this will mean I will have to study part time for a further 18 months)

3.Is the Honors only going to assist younger people straight out of Uni with no work experience and does the Uni lectureres not tell me this because they want to keep the small number of people in the class?
 03 May 2012 12:26 AM

danielscott

Chris,

You should check with the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
for their Academics & Educational Requirements at:-

Academics @PEO.ON.CA

Attention:- Esther Kim.

I believe even if you gain a CEng , an honours degree is the fast track requirement here.

Best wishes for whatever you choose.

Daniel
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.