Increase font size
Topic Title: CEng Application
Topic Summary: Should I apply?
Created On: 21 April 2012 02:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 April 2012 02:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kparalkar

I am planning to apply for CEng and wanted to find out if I will qualify or not or. Not knowing the process and acceptance rate etc, I wanted to get some help. I know that the best way to find out will be by doing an application. I wanted to post this message to find out if any one can share their experience in the process or similar situation as mine.

I have more than 15 years of experience in the field of Network Technology and I currently work as Senior Systems Engineer for a large Network equipment manufacturer and I focus in the field of Network Security. I hold CCIE, JNCIP-Sec and JNCIP-SP and other Networking and security Certifications. I have published papers in the field of Network Security and I currently focus on Network Network &Application Security and Mobile security supporting the largest service provider in US.

It will help me to hear from any one who had applied for CEng from Networking industry.

.......KP MIET
 22 April 2012 05:17 PM

DavidParr

Hello KP,

Looking at your brief CV, you seem to be on the right track!!

My advice would be to book onto one of the registration events held regularly in most areas. Alternatively, ask the IET to assign a PRA to you (or you could do both of these!). Failing that, send me a PM and we can take it from there.

Best Regards,

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 24 April 2012 07:18 AM

apwebb

Hi

As David says, a PRA will be able to help you assess your readiness. You've probably seen the guidance on the IET web site. You'll need to demonstrate appropriate knowledge and understanding either through an accredited course (see the list on the IET site) or be able to detail equivalent levels through other learning. Then you need to be able to demonstrate appropriate and responsible experience across the CEng competencies which are detailed in UK-SPEC.

For CEng, the focus of your technical competencies (A and B) should be around creativity in your work. If your work mainly consists of selecting and implementing established IT solutions then that would suit IEng. If you can demonstrate that you've delivered novel and creative solutions in your field then that would stand you in good stead for CEng.

Kind regards

Andy Webb
CEng MEng MIET
(IT Manager)
 25 April 2012 02:30 PM

jeffkwsun

Dear Mr. Parr,

After reading your reply thread about the CEng Application, I would be grateful if you could advise me whether my qualification also fits for the CEng application. My rough background is listed below for your reference:

I gained a Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering in Yr-1995 and a Master degree in Engineering Management from UTS, Australia in Yr-2002.

I have 18 years of engineering experience in design, installation, testing and commissioning of Security Alarm Systems (CCTV Surveillance, Access Control, Intruder alarm, etc.). I worked from a contractor role of firms since graduation to now a client role in a power utility company in Hong Kong. I was a Design Engineer to participate in design works of large scale railway projects of Hong Kong from Yr-1999 till 2002.

Since I could not find a PRA from IET's Hong Kong branch, I wonder I could invite you as my PRA to help me evaluate my academic qualifications and engineering experience before I formally apply the CEng application.

Thanks and rgds,

Jeff Sun (Hong Kong)

Edited: 25 April 2012 at 03:40 PM by jeffkwsun
 25 April 2012 02:59 PM

DavidParr

I have emailed you!

Regards,

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 14 May 2012 05:18 PM

farou

Hi David,
As i saw you are very supportive man,
Same question, I would like to ask if i qualify to be Chartered Electrical Engineer or not.
I am electrical engineer from Egypt graduated from Ain Shams university and my project related to (Planning of a new developed area (Generation-Transmission- Distribution)) with Excellent grade..
I had master degree from Cairo University with Excellent grade and my search is related to "A Simple Distribution Reconfiguration Algorithm for Loss Minimization by Genetic Algorithm".
IEEE approved my research paper "DS Reconfiguration for Loss Minimization Using GA and Load Flow Solution" and published in magazine and journal of IEEE and presented in 14th International Middle East Power System Conference (MEPCON) at 19-21 December 2010.
Could you please give me your mail to be in touch.
Thanks.

Mohamed M. Farou
Senior Electical Engineer and Lighting Designer
Arab Consulting Engineers and Lighting Force.
Mob. +201069911790
E-mail : mohamed.farou@ace-mb.com
farou@lightingforce.co.uk
 14 May 2012 06:45 PM

DavidParr

Hello Mohamed,

I have sent you a PM!

Regards,

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 07 August 2012 10:54 AM

abrarshah

Dear Mr Parr,
Hope you are doing well. Thanks a lot for your useful replies. I would be grateful if you could please help me with regards to my CEng application. I am actually not sure whether I qualify for CEng at this point or not?
I am an Electronics and Communication Engineer. With a BEng (4 years) degree from Pakistan and a Masters (MSc) degree from University of Manchester - final projects being DOCSIS based protocol system and Wireless Sensor networks respectively.
I have 5 years of post graduation experience in the UK which includes 2 years on a graduate program.
Could you please give me your mail to be in touch.
Your help in this regard would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Best Regards,
Abrar Shah
 07 August 2012 11:29 AM

DavidParr

Hello Abrar,

I have sent you a PM!

Regards,

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.