IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Expected wait for PRI result???
Topic Summary: Have been told it is up to 8 WEEKS - is this usually the case?
Created On: 10 April 2012 09:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 April 2012 09:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

DonaldFisher

Guys,

I'm currently waiting on my PRI result and just wondered if it does take the 2 months, quoted by the IET, to find out your result - can anyone advise?

Cheers,

JBB

-------------------------
JBB IEng MIET
 12 April 2012 08:15 PM

apwebb

This is often the case. The review and moderation process is thorough and the response time depends in part upon the schedule and availability of the boards who will be reviewing your application.

I wish you every success in your application.

Andrew Webb
CEng MEng MIET
 18 April 2012 12:18 AM

tkerby

I too am waiting for the outcome following an interview on the 19th March. Whilst the interviewers told me a decision is usually made within 4 weeks, I've checked with my coordinator and the panel review is scheduled for today (18th April). Hopefully your application will be reviewed in the same panel and we should find out by early next week. I suggest you give the professional registration team a call, I've found them to be very helpful.

Tim Kerby CEng MIET

IET Council 2010-2013
Chairman, Scotland SE Young Professionals
 25 April 2012 05:10 PM

DonaldFisher

Just found out that my application is not going to panel review until 23rd of May and that I will find out the result approximately a week later.

9 - 10 weeks to find out a result seems pretty long if you ask me.

JBB

JBB IEng MIET
 25 April 2012 06:02 PM

DavidParr

It does seem a long time, particularly when you are waiting to hear about something you have worked so hard towards.

The IET are a victim of their own success at the moment in attracting potential registrants. All of us, PRAs, Interviewers and Assessors are very busy and there is a limit to what we can do as volunteers. Extra volunteers are being recruited, but these people then have to be properly trained so that the quality of service given to our "clients" is acceptable.

Once you have your good news, you might like to consider volunteering for the benefit of future applicants? You will find it very worthwhile I promise you!!

Best Regards,

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 25 April 2012 08:48 PM

DonaldFisher

David,

I've already volunteered - put myself forward for the IET Mentoring service (under the premise that my application will be successful).

Given that the PRI is the last piece of the jigsaw (as the IET already have all the other application info) then is it not a case of getting a simple yes or no from the interviewees to progress the result?

JBB

JBB IEng MIET
 25 April 2012 10:27 PM

DavidParr

Originally posted by: DonaldFisher
Given that the PRI is the last piece of the jigsaw (as the IET already have all the other application info) then is it not a case of getting a simple yes or no from the interviewees to progress the result?

It goes something like this... Following the interview, an assessment panel will review the evidence and prepare a PRI report. The registrar then reviews the evidence, considers the assessor's recommendations, manages any lack of consensus, and decides the final outcome. He will consider all the evidence including the application form, the initial assessments, any reports generated by the process etc. It has to be a fully auditable process and it ensures minimum standards. The people involved have to work to a timetable, and depend on admin support tasks performed by the IET staff.

With 1000+ people at various stages in the pipeline, you can probably get some idea of the organisation required.

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 21 May 2012 02:15 PM

faramog

Worth bearing in mind the process is laid down by the Engineering Council. Amongst the benefits they seek is that a wide number of peers review independently the assessments and results at each stage for both quality and consistency purposes. A delay can occur if an assessor is indisposed for a while, or finds that there is a conflict of interest or they feel their skills sets are not sufficient to make a proper assessment having looked over the application. The delay is then getting another assessor on board.

Remember that ass the assessors and interviewers are volunteers.. its not our job, but a personal commitment to the profession so it is inevitable that delays can occur. You seem to have been unlucky and 4-6 weeks is pretty normal

Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
 22 May 2012 03:56 AM

NektarioZ

Probably I am one of the ´unlucky´ ones. This is the 8th week of waiting to hear the PRI outcome of my application with an interview date 31/03/12. The only thing I was told by the registration coordinator was that simply my application hasn´t gone to the panel yet.

As you all agree, this is an important phase of an individual´s professional development and I am eagerly looking forward to hear the outcome so I can take some important career decisions afterwards. I really hope it will be a positive outcome, soon.

Nektarios Moraitis
BEng MSc MIET
 22 May 2012 12:43 PM

DonaldFisher

I fully understand, and appreciate, that it is volunteers who give up their time to undertake assessment. My query was that given the PRI is the last piece of jigsaw, then is it not a simple recommendation yes or no to your application?

Nektarios - I've been informed that my application goes to panel tomorrow (23rd) and that I will find the result within a week after that. It might be the same for you.

JBB

JBB IEng MIET
 25 May 2012 03:34 PM

NGraham

If it helps, I applied for C.Eng on 19 March, had interview on 3rd May and received decision today.
By my reckoning thats a 10 week total process and 3.5 weeks from interview for a decision.

Can't ask for quicker than that...especially since it's all done by volunteers.
 26 May 2012 02:31 AM

ckipling

I had my C.Eng PRI on April 2nd, I also found out the result today, 8 weeks later. I may have had a longer wait due to having my interview outside of the UK.

CK
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.