Topic Title: Non Accredited degree
Topic Summary: BEng Tech (Hons) Renewable Energy Engineering **a new degree**
Created On: 07 April 2012 12:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 April 2012 07:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Gruff

I think you're unnecessarily tying yourself in knots here Nicky. You don't need to worry at all about the accreditation status of your degree, you need to concern yourself with its *quality*.

If your course is well developed, rigorous and properly delivered, you will have a fine degree which will serve you well in your future career and be perfectly acceptable to the engineering institutions for professional registration, regardless of whether it is currently accredited.

Accreditation is effectively just a pre-vetting process, whereby an institute like the IET or IMechE examine the course, its content and delivery, and assure themselves it is of appropriate quality. If they are happy with what they find, the course is then held to satisfy the academic requirements for professional registration for a certain period of time.

When you apply for registration with one of the institutes you need to show your academic achievements match those laid down in the appropriate section of the Engineering Council UK SPEC document. If your degree course has already been through the vetting process and is accredited, it simply means that part of your application doesn't need to be looked at again at that stage, it's already been done. However, if your course isn't/wasn't accredited it is no problem, the vetting process can simply be done for you individually at the point you apply for registration. In this situation, you will provide the institution with information about your modules, course content, examinations etc, and they will satisfy themselves that you meet the academic requirements. It is perfectly standard and routine, and will not cause you any difficulty.

The one thing you *must* ensure though, is that your university is going to provide a high quality degree programme, with appropriate standards, rigour and student support. This is absolutely vital, but if you are confident in this regard, stop worrying and enjoy your studies.

We're not really in a position to help you asses the quality of your course, we don't have enough information. On the one hand you've stated that your university is "decent", has a good track record for engineering, and runs several other courses which are currently accredited. This sounds very promising. If they already have the confidence of one or more institutes it seems very likely they will have put together a respectable course that will satisfy all the appropriate requirements.

On the other hand, you've also said "Just had a bad experience throughout the foundation degree so i'm a little pessamistic" which doesn't sound so promising. If they have made a bit of a hash of delivering your foundation degree, what have they done to correct their deficiencies? Are you certain you won't be getting more of the same?

Given that you are a group of only 5 students and your university have no intention of running the course once they've met their obligations to you, I'd be a little concerned that you may not be given the support or commitment you will deserve. Remember, you'll be paying a great deal of money for your education, they need to get it right because you'll only get one shot at it.

My advice then is don't worry at all about accreditation, it is a technicality and a red herring. Assure yourself that your university have the commitment and resources to deliver a high quality degree programme to you and your fellow 4 students. If you are satisfied they will, get stuck in and enjoy. If you're not confident they will do so, take yourself and your money elsewhere.

Incidentally, I'd like you to name your university. I don't think it needs to be kept a secret, no one has said anything dreadful, we are simply discussing your experiences and educational choices, we should know who they are.

Edited: 13 April 2012 at 08:00 AM by Gruff
 13 April 2012 08:16 AM

NickyTeasdale

Wow, that is some great advice, thanks.

The reason I am so weary is because ill be 29 when I graduate and I have been working in a call centre full-time for 5 years.
Last chance saloon some might say. I can't afford to leave uni with anything going against me (none accreditation).

It's Teesside University. Middlesbrough has its bad press but I think the uni is good. Like I say, there are lots of engineering degrees already accredited and some are pending/will soon be making an application so i'm sure mine will be fine as it's been designed to meet UK-SPEC but I want assurance/guarantee. I don't see why they can't add mine to the list as the IET welcomes multiple applications at no extra cost per visit. The visitors are voluntary peers so costs seem low. They just look for reimbursement of travel expenses. If they don't accredited mine it will be the only engineering degree with this status.

Anyways, can I go back to this:

1. Some employers preferentially recruit from accredited degrees. NetworkRail that I mentioned do for some positions.
2. No job = No experience
3. No experience = No IEng status

I think that says I am at a disadvantage. Am I wrong?

Edited: 13 April 2012 at 08:29 AM by NickyTeasdale
 13 April 2012 08:22 AM

NickyTeasdale

I want to be able to apply for 10/10 jobs, not limit myself to say, 6/10 jobs because my degree is none accredited

Kind regards

I really appreciate everyones advice
 13 April 2012 08:27 AM

ectophile

In all the times I have applied for a job, not one empolyer has ever asked if my degree is accredited (it isn't).

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 13 April 2012 09:27 AM

DonaldFisher

Hi Nicky,

I was in the exact same position as you as I'd went back to uni in my mid-20s and had to ensure I was going to be able to get a good job post-qualification.

Some employers can be sticklers when it comes to accredited courses as they may have registered training agreements of which the standard to enroll is an accredited degree. However, it really is not as black and white as this, as your course may have more than enough meat on the bones to achieve certification but because it is relatively new, the university hasn't got round to the process. That shouldn't be held against you.

If I were in your position, I would check with IET to see if someone can review your course and if they are happy then join and as a student member. Meaning if the question of accredtiation comes up in an interview, you will already have a positive response to give - rather than just letting them tell you that it's not accredited and that could be a problem. It would also show that you're being proactive and that you want to become professionally qualified.

Slightly off-topic here but career advice nonetheless - the best way I got a kick start in my engineering career was to pick up work in industry during my studies; therefore, giving you the edge over other graduates by having qualifications plus relevant work experience. Plus, it made me far more focussed on my studies at university.

JBB

JBB IEng MIET
 13 April 2012 09:56 AM

westonpa

Originally posted by: NickyTeasdale
I want to be able to apply for 10/10 jobs, not limit myself to say, 6/10 jobs because my degree is none accredited

Kind regards
I really appreciate everyones advice

Teesside University is a well respected and well established university and a degree from them will also be respected. Just remember that your prospective employer will not view them through your eyes but rather will go on their reputation and brand. There are very few, in relation to all those which are available, engineering jobs which ask for accredited degrees and I cannot see that changing anytime soon because the IET/EC do not have the brand recognition that a university education does. I suggest to enjoy your studies and do the best you can because when you are 29 your year of being 28 will be gone forever and will never come again. Study is not just about getting a job but rather it is also about enjoying learning about new things in the area in which you have an interest and want to have a career.

Regards.

Edited: 13 April 2012 at 11:13 AM by westonpa
 13 April 2012 04:52 PM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: NickyTeasdale
How do you know BEng Tech and BSc have the same meaning? Is there a website you could point me to?

On second thoughts I am not sure if it's anything to do with BSc?

It could mean; Bachelor of Engineering in Technology. Which sounds nonsense.

Or it could mean; Bachelor of Engineering & Technology in honour of the IET perhaps?

If it means the latter, then it's a completely new title and one I've never heard of until now.

You should find out from your University what exactly BEng Tech means?

This page shows that all their top-up courses are referred to as BEng Tech. If you click on one of them it suggests they will be applying for IEng accreditation.

Edited: 13 April 2012 at 05:16 PM by mbirdi
 13 April 2012 05:22 PM

NickyTeasdale

Thanks everyone.... This has helped me lots!

The next step is to speak to uni - when they reply!

That link is a different degree ha
 14 April 2012 04:43 AM

Gruff

If you're going to lobby the university to have your course accredited, you may want to recruit your fellow students.

I'd suggest all 5 of you individually write letters to the head of the engineering department setting out your case for accreditation, hand deliver them on the same day, and ask (politely) for a formal response from the college.

That sort of approach would be impossible to ignore, and the college would then have to set out in writing to you their specific reasons for not accrediting, if they wanted to stick with that choice.

Good luck.
 14 April 2012 06:58 AM

NickyTeasdale

Ahhhh yes, good idea gruff!

I will certainly do that. Thanks
 14 January 2013 03:48 PM

CelticHeathen

Interesting thread.
 12 February 2013 09:50 AM

BilalQureshi

Hi,

I guess after acquiring MIET from IET, there remains no issue of non-accredited degree while proceeding towards C.Eng. This is because the non-accredited degrees were already assessed for MIET.

If someone obtained MIET, then for him/her only experience is required to achieve C.Eng.The question of non-accredited degree would be no longer exist.

Please write your comments or suggestions.

Regards,
Bilal

Best regards,
Bilal
 12 February 2013 12:52 PM

ectophile

There's no requirement for an accredited degree for MIET - just something that's relevant to engineering or technology. I don't even have an engineering degree, but I was accepted for MIET without question.

CEng requires that you meet the requirements of the Engineering Council, not the IET.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.