Increase font size
Topic Title: Completed HNC Mechanical Engineering
Topic Summary: Job Prospects
Created On: 04 April 2012 12:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 April 2012 12:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Div

Hi all...

I would just like to know from the more senior people what my next career step should be. Any advice would be helpfull.

I am 30 and have just completed my HNC in mechanical engineering, which I took because I had a great interest (and wanted a change in career) in mechanical engineering, automation, autocad(design) and control. I haven't done an apprenticeship to come through the "traditional" way, so all I have is the HNC. Currently I'm working as a labourer at a welding company, and do not get a lot of experience on the things I am interested in.

My question is should I do my HND in mech. Eng. And where can I get the experience or exposure I need to advance to the next step of my career.

Any suggestions or ideas would be received with open arms.
 07 April 2012 02:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

westonpa

Originally posted by: Div
I am 30 and have just completed my HNC in mechanical engineering, which I took because I had a great interest (and wanted a change in career) in mechanical engineering, automation, autocad(design) and control.

So which of these 4 do you have the 'great interest' in then? I suggest that you decide where your interests are and then look at what jobs are available and what the requirements are and then look at the gaps between what you have and what is required for the jobs. Also take the time to register with a few 'engineering' staff agencies and take some advice from them. I would suggest that rather than do a HND in mechanical engineering at this stage that you consider something which will make you more 'multi skilled', preferably in an area which interests you, which compliments your current HNC and for which there are jobs about.

Regards.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.