IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How benificial is doing a 4 years degree over a 3 years degree?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03 April 2012 10:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 April 2012 10:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

UKRob

For those doing/applying for a BEng/BSc or MEng/MComp/MSci degree. What made you choose a 3 or 4 years degree?

For those in there 4th year or graduated, how does the work in the 4th year compared to the first 3 years?

Do you regret or glad you did a MEng/MComp/MSci degree instead of a BEng/BSc degree?

How beneficial is doing a 4 years course over 3 years?

I can't work out, if 4th years is beneficial then doing 3 years. On one hand, I think it's beneficial in that you learn more advanced material. On the other hand, if you can get a graduate job after 3 years, then what's the point in doing a 4th year?
 04 April 2012 09:31 AM

DonaldFisher

Rob,

If you were looking to become CEng in the future (where the normal academic requirement is Masters level), then it would be worthwhile to get all your studies out the way in one go. As oppose to having to go back to studying later on in your career; when you then might not have the time, money, etc.

JBB

-------------------------
JBB IEng MIET
 07 April 2012 08:36 PM

scottseedell

Rob,

It's a case of 'horses for courses'. Your own personal ambition should dictate the degree you take. If a masters degree is what you feel you need for your career choice (some research is always nice) then it would clearly be the better choice to make and would almost certainly get you up the ladder quicker than a bachelors. If however, you feel that you could make it to where you want to be with just a bachelors and relevant experience then that's your answer. As the poster above states, if you wanted to become a CEng then an accredited masters degree is generally the minimum educational requirement (although there are ways around it).

Regarding intensity; having studied at both levels I can state that there isn't a great deal in it other than a more substantial dissertation and less help doing it. Most universities will see post grads as already having the knowledge and ability to study alone and dictate one's own pace. Therefore at masters level they expect you to do additional research to catch up on bits you dont understand rather than sit you down in lectures teaching it. The actual intensity didnt increase all that much to me (although that could be me becoming more adept in the subject and naturally struggling less). My opinion is that the biggest educational leap you will make (where intensity increases the most) is from GCSE to A-level.

-------------------------
Scott Seedell - BSc(Hons) IEng MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.