Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Professional Technician
Topic Summary: How does the new Professional Technician brand sit with EngTech & ICTTech?
Created On: 27 March 2012 01:34 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 March 2012 01:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 22
Joined: 14 May 2002

The "Professional Technican" 'brand' was launched yesterday, with the IET as a partner.

Defined as: "A higher level of technician, the professional technician has additional distinguishable attributes. They are working in a practical role involving science, engineering or technology. They are technically qualified and working at a minimum of Level 3 in subjects relevant to the role."

How is that going to sit / integrate with the existing EngTech and ICTTech brands and offers?

My LN (Bristol) has been trying for some time to raise the profile of Techs and get them more involved at local level, so would be good to know about this!


Eur Ing Dr. Russell J. Haines BEng(Hons) CEng FIET SMIEEE SMACM AMRI
IET Bristol Chair, College/Schools Liaison; Publicity; Acting Hon. Sec., Twitter: @IETbristol
 27 March 2012 04:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 1907
Joined: 13 June 2005

There was something about it on the BBC news yesterday, which I caught the tail end of. The Technician Council was mentioned in the program.

Ultimately, this is more about recruitement drive, to help UK PLC get in better economic shape, than recognising Technicians as bonafide professionals. Just look at the bigwigs backing this promotion below:

http://www.professional-techni...k/pdf/PT_blue_book.pdf [page 33 onwards]

Interesting that the Science Council's equivalent of IEng is RSci (Registered Scientist).

Edited: 27 March 2012 at 04:43 PM by mbirdi
 28 March 2012 07:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 642
Joined: 30 August 2005

Both the Engineering Council and the IET are partners for the "Professional Technician".
Being the "professional technician" a duplication of '"EngTech" will perhaps mean that the first will replace the second and the Engineering Council and the IET will registry only "professional engineers" (CEng. and IEng.)?

Edited: 28 March 2012 at 07:58 AM by rar
 22 April 2012 06:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 3
Joined: 22 November 2002

It looks like it is designed to promote the concept of being a professionally registered technician with one of the current registration schemes. The site includes the statement that:

"An applicant joins a professional body relevant to their area of study or career aspirations. The professional body then assesses underpinning knowledge, competence, and commitment to professional ethics, conduct and CPD. Currently there are three registration categories applicable to technicians, EngTech, RSciTech, and ICTTech."

So it's not really a change from an Engineering perspective, but it does promote both science and engineering technicians for professional registration.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2016 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.