Increase font size
Topic Title: MIET and C Eng Asssment
Topic Summary:
Created On: 23 December 2011 08:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 December 2011 08:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BilalQureshi

My education and experience is written below.

Education:
MSc (Electronics), Quaid e Azam University, Pakistan, 2007
MS (Electronic Engineering), Mohammad Ali Jinnah University, Pakistan, 2009
MS (Electronics Design), Mid Sweden University, Sundsvall, Sweden, 2011

Experience:
BSS Engineer (Huawei Technologies, Pakistan) March 2007 to August 2007
Lecturer for Teaching Engineering Courses (Hamdard University, Pakistan) August 2007 to January 2010
Qualification Student Fellowship (International Graduate School on Mobile Communications) at TU Ilmenau, Gernamy (November 2011 to November 2012)

I have one question, can i obtain MIET from ECUK, based on my education and experience ?

Next question is regarding C. Eng, after obtaining MIET, how can we do our assessment online before applying formally for C. Eng ? which definitely need to pay the fee

Regards,
Bilal Hasan Qureshi

-------------------------
Best regards,
Bilal
 23 December 2011 12:24 PM

ectophile

MIET is issued by the IET itself, not ECUK. If you have a relevant degree and work in engineering or technology, you should have no trouble applying for it. You will need to find appropriate sponsors to countersign your application.

CEng is considerably harder to get. You will need to fill out an application form, available from the IET. This covers not just your academic qualifications but also your experience. You need to read through the CEng section of UKSpec to see what skills you need to have demonstrated in your work.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 23 December 2011 12:46 PM

BilalQureshi

Dear S P Barker,

(i) My degrees are not accredited by any engineering council. Neither BSc nor MSc.

(ii) I understand that for MIET only academics and education is evaluated, not the experience which would be required for further step i.e. C. Eng. Do you think its true ?

(iii) I also have one doubt, if my application is not accepted for MIET, can i take my money back, i.e. refund or not ?

Thanks for your reply

Best regards,
Bilal
 28 August 2012 02:01 PM

BilalQureshi

Dear S P Barker and others,

(i) My degrees are not accredited by any engineering council. Neither BSc nor MSc.

(ii) I understand that for MIET only academics and education is evaluated, not the experience

experience is required for further step i.e. C. Eng. Do you think its true ?

(iii) I also have one doubt, if my application is not accepted for MIET or C.Eng, can i take my money back, i.e. refund or not ?

In advance thanks for your reply

Regards,
Bilal

Best regards,
Bilal
 28 August 2012 07:48 PM

peteTLM

i) and ii) Get in contact with a personal registration advisor.

ii) From the application page:
Appropriate experience for MIET
Graduate Training Scheme;
Postgraduate research/study for masters or PhD;
Qualified Teacher (QT) responsible for science, mathematics, IT, engineering, design or technology;
FE or HE lecturer in science, mathematics, IT, engineering, technology;
Qualifying supervisor in electrical installation (as defined by ECA, NICEIC);
Military trainer (non-commissioned);
Industrial trainer;
UK government engineer or technologist, grades B, C or D;
Armed Services - commissioned officers, non-commissioned officers at Warrant Officer or equivalent;
IT analyst;
Consultant;
Manager or self-employed contractor with responsibility for managing budgets and/or staff and/or contractors and/or contracts;
Manager, senior manager, director of SMEs (over ten staff) and larger organisations;
Self-employed contractor working in graduate roles within client organisations;
Authorised person or inspector with legal responsibility/liability for inspection and approval of safety critical systems or equipment.

Good luck!

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 28 August 2012 08:08 PM

dlane

i) This should not matter, there may be a slightly higher burden of proof required that you have the learning but ultimately you have the right qualifications to put on the application which makes things easier.

ii) Qualifications and experience are evaluated at both MIET and CEng, just at different levels. I achieved my MIET without a degree using my experience to back up my HNC.

iii) I believe your application fee for IET membership is non-refundable unless you are refused entry into the IET, which will be unlikely. You can apply to change membership category whilst in the IET and I don't think there is a fee to be paid.
For a CEng application, your application fee is non-refundable even if you are turned down.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 29 August 2012 09:30 AM

BilalQureshi

you mean IET fee is refundable if application (for MIET) is rejected ?

how long it take to complete the process for IET membership and CEng ?

Best regards,
Bilal
 29 August 2012 08:45 PM

peteTLM

What Donald is saying is that should you not be awarded MIET, they will award you ordinary membership without letters.

You need a sponsor to countersign your MIET application who is already a member, so start thinking about that.

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 30 August 2012 07:41 PM

dlane

As per the response above, if you are not eligible for MIET you would be accepted as an Associate member initially and there would be no refund.

You would probably be asked to submit further evidence for your MIET application for consideration and if successful you would then receive the MIET designation without any further cost to yourself.

I don't know where you are from but have you checked with your employer if they will reimburse you for membership of a professional association?

Kind regards

Donald Lane
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.