IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: IEng application - linking commentary question.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 November 2011 06:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07 November 2011 06:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JordanM

I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out of my blonde moment.

I am currently preparing for a technical interview to assess my abilities for IEng - I'm working towards (but don't yet have) my degree.

The request was for a Technical report + 3 A4 pages of linking commentary, followed by my presentation.
Now the Report and presentation are pretty straight forward, but I have no idea what format the linking commentary should be in.

Should it be along the lines of the report, or more of a slide/handout presentation?

Can anyone offer me any advice?

Regards,
Mark

mark.m.jordan@gmail.com
 21 April 2013 07:52 PM

AlexBarrett

I see this query hasn't drawn any replies. I'm currently preparing a report for my CEng application and I too am not clear what the function/composition of the "linking commentary" is with respect to the technical report itself. Some help please on this?
 22 April 2013 02:27 PM

roybowdler

The concerns expressed suggest that the guidance material we give could be more helpful and that reviewing it needs to move up the priority list.

Firstly, it is important to understand the reason for an additional submission being requested, potentially leading to a Technical Interview.

Before IET assessors ask for additional evidence of this type, they will have satisfied themselves that there is a credible case for the type of registration being sought. This initial judgement is based on evidence of career achievements and qualifications, especially examples of personal technical contribution. However where the examples of achievement provided, leave doubts about the standard of underpinning knowledge and understanding being applied, then further clarification is needed. For someone who has demonstrated their technical knowledge through an accredited qualification, the benefit of any doubt is normally allowed and a Professional Review Interview arranged, to (hopefully) confirm competence.

The term "Technical Report" is in common use, as it derives from Engineering Council regulations which describe a "Technical Report Route". It is often assumed that this requires a specially created report or even dissertation, of a type that might be expected as part of an academic programme. Until 2010 this was reinforced by IET guidance which might say something like "6000 words covering the applications of mathematics and science". However the IET has developed a more flexible approach, based on the principle of - seeking wherever possible to examine evidence that already exists. In practice the evidence will usually be a sample of work, capable of illustrating suitable knowledge application, which can be further explored at a Technical Interview. We seek agreement with each person on a case-by-case basis what this work sample will be. The meaning of "work" is quite wide ranging and academic papers, projects or even occasionally patents have been used. In simple terms we are seeking one or more examples of your work that best illustrate your strongest area(s) of technical knowledge.

To address the question, the linking commentary is your opportunity to highlight and explain to potential Technical Interviewers, how the work sample that you have selected illustrates your technical understanding. An example might including describing in summary, your specific and detailed personal technical contribution within a team project. Imagine that you have to assess your own submission and ask yourself the question - does this tell a credible story which I can build upon quickly at interview? Written or Power Point format would be considered, if it offers a clear explanation. We provide feedback and if necessary some opportunity for further revision when you submit, but please think carefully as a poor submission may point in the opposite direction to the one that you desire.

We will not normally proceed to a Technical Interview unless there is a reasonable prospect of a positive outcome. If the evidence suggests that another category of registration is more appropriate then this advice will be given. The success rate is good , as it is rare for someone to progress to Technical Interview who cannot illustrate knowledge to either IEng or CEng standard. Our aspiration is not to significantly disadvantage anyone who needs a Technical Interview in our of speed of decision, if they supply additional information promptly.

-------------------------
Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 22 April 2013 02:41 PM

AlexBarrett

Thanks Roy, that is certainly more helpful than anything I've found on the website.

I'm currently preparing a write-up on an old project we did, through client spec, researching solutions, developing prototypes & commercial instruments, followed by subsequent modifications & enhancements.

However, as one of only two design engineers in the firm, I am intimately involved in all of this, and the linking commentary would appear somewhat redundant. Would the assessors be able to take this on board rather than insisting upon it for its own sake?
 23 April 2013 08:49 AM

roybowdler

Alex,

I would be disappointed if any assessors insisted on something for "its own sake". However most reports of something technical are likely to benefit from signposting and emphasis of key aspects. We have also seen summaries of projects which lack detail about the project itself, such as drawings, diagrams, analysis of data etc. - i.e. the technical bit! Please keep in mind that we are first and foremost trying to evaluate your technical understanding, although your ability to illustrate it to us is a factor in the overall picture. If you have identified where your best evidence might come from, but need more detailed advice, then send us a draft (or "outline synopsis"). We can give you feedback and possibly arrange for some support from a volunteer advisor.
Your registration coordinator will be happy to help. The process presumes that you will be able to illustrate your ability reasonably easily, so there isn't a great deal of support routinely built in, unlike a study programme for example.

-------------------------
Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 23 April 2013 08:59 AM

AlexBarrett

I am fortunate in having a registration advisor and others experienced in coaching for registration as LN committee colleagues. I must say the application handling thus far by IET staff has been sadly lacking, one would think this is the first time the IET has handled such a procedure. Thanks at least for your comments, I hope many others in my position benefit from them.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.