Increase font size
Topic Title: Engineering in Queensland Beware
Topic Summary: Engineers Australia
Created On: 15 February 2011 12:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 February 2011 12:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

alamatec

Any engineers intending to work in Queensland should beware. It is illeagal to work as an engineer unless you are a RPEQ (registered professional engineer of Queensland)
Check out the following link
http://cpeng.info/bpeq/index.html

Forget it if you are Ieng they call these technologists and consider the application of Ohms law too advanced for you.
 16 February 2011 12:16 PM

danielscott

It is the same here in Canada and the USA. An IEng is regarded as a Technologist and cannot call themselves an Engineer. You can perform engineering duties, but cannot accept the responsibility for what you have done, as you should always be under the supervision of a PEng or P.E.

If anyone with a degree and an IEng designation is considering coming to Canada, I suggest they drop the IEng designation from their CV and just leave their Degree for all to see on the CV.

It's really is amazing after being over 43 years in Canada to now see the ratio of PEng's to Technologists and Technicians. In 1967 there would have been a ratio of 6 designers (draughtsmen) to every PEng. Now there are at least 6 PEng's to every designer. They are a dime a dozen (a commodity) and depending on their discipline, the work that they are assigned was work that used to be assigned to Technicians and Technologist years ago. I worked in Mechanical Engineering and the majority of PEng's have admitted to me that they would be lucky if they have applied 2 to3% of their University education to any of their specific job assignments and that includes a couple of PhD's.

Daniel
 16 February 2011 12:44 PM

alamatec

Originally posted by: danielscott

It is the same here in Canada and the USA. An IEng is regarded as a Technologist and cannot call themselves an Engineer. You can perform engineering duties, but cannot accept the responsibility for what you have done, as you should always be under the supervision of a PEng or P.E.

If anyone with a degree and an IEng designation is considering coming to Canada, I suggest they drop the IEng designation from their CV and just leave their Degree for all to see on the CV.

It's really is amazing after being over 43 years in Canada to now see the ratio of PEng's to Technologists and Technicians. In 1967 there would have been a ratio of 6 designers (draughtsmen) to every PEng. Now there are at least 6 PEng's to every designer. They are a dime a dozen (a commodity) and depending on their discipline, the work that they are assigned was work that used to be assigned to Technicians and Technologist years ago. I worked in Mechanical Engineering and the majority of PEng's have admitted to me that they would be lucky if they have applied 2 to3% of their University education to any of their specific job assignments and that includes a couple of PhD's.

Daniel

It seems crazy. I got a distingtion in higher level maths in my HNC but here in Queensland they don't trust me to apply ohms law! I had to give the Ceng I work with a lesson on power factor last week! He was clueless!
Spent the last 10 years designing nuclear safety systems and process plants but here I'm not allowed to do even simple engineering by law! It's a joke!
 16 February 2011 03:36 PM

sunnyboy

That ' s the same here in Italy , too !

-------------------------
Luciano Bacco
 17 February 2011 11:29 AM

sunnyboy

And what about this ICE / IEAust Mutual Exemption Agreement?

http://www.ice.org.uk/mea

Waste-paper ?!

-------------------------
Luciano Bacco

Edited: 17 February 2011 at 11:37 AM by sunnyboy
 18 February 2011 12:04 PM

alamatec

Maybe someting to do with the fact that Engineers Australia are essentialy a civil engineering organisation.
 20 February 2011 03:48 PM

olcay

It's really is amazing after being over 43 years in Canada to now see the ratio of PEng's to Technologists and Technicians. In 1967 there would have been a ratio of 6 designers (draughtsmen) to every PEng. Now there are at least 6 PEng's to every designer. They are a dime a dozen (a commodity) and depending on their discipline, the work that they are assigned was work that used to be assigned to Technicians and Technologist years ago.

Daniel

Dear Daniel,
I think it is very similar in different parts of the world.

I like the phrase used by British people :
QUALITY OR QANTITY

That is the real problem.Not enough jobs and too many graduates.
So they are trying to shun IEng out of practice to steal their jobs.

British are fair people who beleive in EQUAL OPPORTUNİTY .This notion has improved British Engineering and the profession has gained many talented "engineers" as a result.
What i dont understand is that whileTurkey is trying to take British as an example, The British are trying to adopt USA approach.
The Great Britain does not need to take USA or others approach regarding engineering profession or any other profession for that matter.
The Great Britain has very old and ancient tradition inherited from The British Empire.
It should be USA and others who should look up to UK not the other way round.
I come from a commonwealth country and I am proud of it.
It leaves me in shame to see British go the wrong way round .
Do the wright thing EC . You come from an old and glorified heritage.
Do not degrade your own colleques the IEngs.
SET A GOOD EXAMPLE . Do not imitate USA.
 21 February 2011 10:28 AM

alamatec

Originally posted by: olcay

It's really is amazing after being over 43 years in Canada to now see the ratio of PEng's to Technologists and Technicians. In 1967 there would have been a ratio of 6 designers (draughtsmen) to every PEng. Now there are at least 6 PEng's to every designer. They are a dime a dozen (a commodity) and depending on their discipline, the work that they are assigned was work that used to be assigned to Technicians and Technologist years ago.

Daniel

Dear Daniel,

I think it is very similar in different parts of the world.

I like the phrase used by British people :

QUALITY OR QANTITY

That is the real problem.Not enough jobs and too many graduates.

So they are trying to shun IEng out of practice to steal their jobs.

I don't think it's that sinister but the result may be lot of unemployed Ieng's. I don't know if I trust the IET to represent the interests of Ieng's anymore. I've seen what engineers Australia have done and it's all about money.
I think we need some statement of intent from the IET on this matter. Do they support Incorporated ENGINEERS or not?
 21 February 2011 09:47 PM

olcay

I don't think it's that sinister but the result may be lot of unemployed Ieng's. I don't know if I trust the IET to represent the interests of Ieng's anymore. I've seen what engineers Australia have done and it's all about money.

I think we need some statement of intent from the IET on this matter. Do they support Incorporated ENGINEERS or not?

The statement of intent is written as a slogan on main page of IET web site ;
Professional Home for life for Engineers and Technologists
Since there are no "Technologist" officially in UK and Incorporated Engineer is internationally nominated by EC as "Technologist" . What the slogan says is that this is supported by IET .
IIE was the real HOME of IEng .
I cant help feeling disowned, neglected and degraded by the IET and EC(UK).
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.