Increase font size
Topic Title: IET Mentoring Service
Topic Summary: Feedback
Created On: 31 January 2011 01:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 January 2011 01:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

boneillfnc

All,

Has anyone used the IET mentoring service, having previously worked for a largish organisation I had a mentor, with a brief was to provide guidance on professional development and CEng matters but given the pressures of the working environment time for this role was at a premium.

Given that I have recently moved jobs and the company is much smaller, and doesn't provide a mentoring service. I am considering using the IET Mentoring service, does anyone have any experience as a mentee, is it worthwhile.

http://www.theiet.org/careers/mentoring/iservice/

Thanks in advance

Bryan
 03 February 2011 03:25 PM

ntooley

Hi Bryan

Thank you for your post about the Mentoring service.

I'm Nicky Tooley, i'm responsible for the voluntary Mentoring service within the IET.

If you have any questions then please do not hesitate in emailing me on the following email address - mentoring@theiet.org

Kind regards

Nicky Tooley

-------------------------
Miss Nicky Tooley
Professional Development Assistant
Membership and Professional Development (MPD)
 01 March 2012 12:55 PM

kingficer

Hi...
thank you for the post related to mentoring service...
As my opinion Mentor service with best quality services and Get Mentoring services with affordable is more require...

Mentoring

[url=Link removed/mentoring.html]Mentoring[/url]
 01 March 2012 01:42 PM

DonaldFisher

Kingficer,

I have an IET mentor at present and the help/guidance/support I have recieved on my route to professional registration has been excellent.

I did have to change the first mentor assigned to me by the IET as their background (armed forces) was completely different to me and I found it difficult to try and draw on his personal experience to help me through my registration. However, after contacting the IET to let them know, I was then assigned a mentor from my hometown who had a very similar background and the help so far has been fantastic.

To give you an idea, I hadn't documented any of my work over the last 5 years so was having to start from scratch. From the point I was assigned a mentor to my actual PRI date was no more than 9 months or so.

Also, the advice from local PRAs is excellent as well.

Thanks,

JBB

JBB IEng MIET
 08 March 2012 10:29 AM

sincy

Kingficer,

As an IET mentor I would say that the mentoring service supplied by the IET members is really good. We have all been in the same position as you are now, and we have got a good idea of what you need to do to get to where you want to be. Our role is to try and help you get IEng or CEng registration.

JJB is good that you find your mentor has helped you, that's what we are here for after all.
 08 March 2012 10:28 PM

dlane

Hi sincy,

I am curious, is the mentoring service highly active in your area? If so I assume it has some people driving it, the mentoring service in my area seems to be totally non existent with no interest in providing training or running it.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 12 March 2012 09:19 AM

sincy

Donald,

I will be honest, I do not know how active the mentoring service is, but i do know when i attend the training courses for mentors there is always a resonable attendance. also my company helps with mentors and mantee alike. they try to put them together when possible, and also the IET are usually pretty good in finding you a mentor if you request one.

I am based in Glasgow, and the IET have a base here maybe that helps.

Try contacting the IET and asking them if there are mentors in your area, and what support they can offer. the IET have coordinators running the scheme, and they are the drivers, but it takes the mentor to really want to help to make the scheme work.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.