Topic Title: Engineering Council Registration Card
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 January 2011 12:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 31 January 2011 12:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mbirdi

Agnes,

I'm afraid this is not an acceptable answer.

Cards only have to be issued once at the time a member joins the IET or gains one of the EC registration qualifications. A one off payment could then be added to the application costs at the time of joining.

If a member requires a replacement card, they simply apply for one and submit payment accordingly, in the same way when applying for a membership certificate.

The upside of issuing membership cards, with full academic qualification(s), membership status and EC registration printed on them, is retention of members as they would think twice before considering resigning from the IET and EC.

This is the least I would expect from a global engineering institution.
 01 February 2011 06:00 AM

Aitken1953

I suppose its the Engineering Council that should supply the cards to
demonstrate professional registration C Eng / I Eng / Eng Tech.

Come on its a card like they used to supply - Dont mind paying for mine.
 01 February 2011 11:22 AM

mbirdi

I thought the IET provided Diplomas to registered members with the words 'Chartered Engineer,' 'Incorporated Engineer' or Engineering Technician' printed on them? If that can do that , they can print CEng, IEng, EngTech etc on the cards. It doesn't have to come from the EC.
 01 February 2011 12:06 PM

Aitken1953

Never a truer word spoken Mbirdi
 01 February 2011 12:52 PM

faisal18may1982

The IET issues each member with a standard membership card detailing Name and Membership Number.
The IET have the Cards & Printing means available.

How much more would it cost, to adjust the card template, and print some additional characters?
The additional cost (staff time required to process the registration card application & registration card cost) could be offered as an additional product by The IET.

Possible solution / approach:

The IET could send out an enquiry/survey email to each member with Professional Registration, with a link redirecting them to a purpose created IET webpage and ask if they wish to purchase a Registration Membership Card, detailing the cost per card. With the feedback, this would enable the IET to automatically compile/retrieve figures detailing levels of interest at minimum cost to The IET.

If feasible offer the service.

If not, have hard figures to publish to members and have a reason to justify an approach.
 01 February 2011 01:35 PM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: Aitken1953
Never a truer word spoken Mbirdi

Aitken1953, they must think we were born yesterday.

Remember the idea I proposed about Platinum, Gold and Bronze services for membership? Well the IET have got the idea when it comes to wining and dining.

Look at this for grand service;
http://savoyplace.theiet.org/

Click on the links for Catering, Wine etc.
http://savoyplace.theiet.org/facilities/index.cfm

They can afford all this, but can't put CEng, IEng or EngTech on membership cards? Come off it!

Just who are the IET serving these days?
 01 February 2011 02:07 PM

Aitken1953

I think Platinum for C Eng - Gold for I Eng and Bronze for Eng Tech
is a very good idea
 01 February 2011 02:51 PM

mbirdi

Well it should go along the lines of the level of service members want against the costs they are willing to pay, rather than linking it with type of registration.

An example would be a newly qualified CEng with limited resources choosing Bronze, whilst an IEng or EngTech with a number of years membership could afford to opt for Gold or Platinum. It's all down to what you are willing to pay.

For me it would just be the basic service with no frills. Not even flashing white LEDs on my MIET certificate.
 01 February 2011 03:27 PM

rar

For the Members of the ARRL-Usa a membership certificate and registration card are available via web site with no cost.
The file(pdf) may be downloaded and printed by the member.
 01 February 2011 07:23 PM

simongallagher

The IET is here to serve its members, and only its members.

What the IET does, and does not do it is up to its members, and its members only.

The staff who work at the IET deliver the strategy that the various boards set, and these boards are members.

Perhaps there are a few members of these boards who have been around for a bit too long and have lost touch with what engineers truly value in an institution. The only way to change things is to get some new blood in there.

Stand for election, and then take on some of the responsibility for running the IET.
 01 February 2011 08:32 PM

jcm256

The SOE (as well as a business card) have this sort of scheme a plaque at your workplace updated annually. Could the IET do something similar, at least it would advertise The Institution of Engineering and Technology.

Does your company recognise the importance of employing professional engineers?

SOE now operates the Professional Recognition Scheme, in partnership with organisations committed to recognising the professional engineers they employ.

The Professional Recognition Scheme is open to any organisation that demonstrates an on-going commitment and investment in its engineers by enabling them to register with the Engineering Council.

In return, organisations who join the Professional Recognition Scheme will receive an SOE plaque, updated annually, containing the names of their employees registered with the Engineering Council for display. Companies under the Scheme may also be eligible for discounts on SOE membership.
 02 February 2011 08:48 AM

amillar

Originally posted by: mbirdi
Look at this for grand service;
http://savoyplace.theiet.org/

Click on the links for Catering, Wine etc.
http://savoyplace.theiet.org/f...ities/index.cfm

They can afford all this, but can't put CEng, IEng or EngTech on membership cards? Come off it!

To be fair to the IET, this is provided as a paid for service, and the rates are comparable with any other catering service i.e. presumably they are at least breaking even and probably making money out of it (rather than costing members anything). I think that's a bit of a red herring (which they may or may not serve).

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 02 February 2011 08:52 AM

amillar

Originally posted by: simongallagher

What the IET does, and does not do it is up to its members, and its members only.

I hate to say it, but if you look closely at the IET's constitution I think you will find this is not the case. It is there to serve the engineering community, who may or may not be members. Membership is basically a way of raising income to achieve its charitable aims.

Of course, it may (and does) decide to provide services to members to encourage them to join/remain, but as I understand it that is not its primary aim.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 02 February 2011 08:57 AM

amillar

Originally posted by: jcm256
The SOE (as well as a business card) have this sort of scheme a plaque at your workplace updated annually. Could the IET do something similar, at least it would advertise The Institution of Engineering and Technology.

(...)

In return, organisations who join the Professional Recognition Scheme will receive an SOE plaque, updated annually, containing the names of their employees registered with the Engineering Council for display. Companies under the Scheme may also be eligible for discounts on SOE membership.

Now that's a really good idea, might well encourage employers to support membership rather more - the more names on the plaque the more "professional" the employer looks.

02 February 2011 11:31 AM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: amillar
To be fair to the IET, this is provided as a paid for service, and the rates are comparable with any other catering service i.e. presumably they are at least breaking even and probably making money out of it (rather than costing members anything). I think that's a bit of a red herring (which they may or may not serve).

My point is the IET seem to be focusing on providing an a la carte service to the few members and guests who attend the properties owned by the IET, but are deaf to the needs of the majority of members who want choices when it comes to promoting their membership and registration.

If the excercise is to generate income to pay for maintenance of buildings, salaries and pensions, then come out with it. There are members who are willing to pay for the a la carte service regarding promotion of their membership and registration. So why not offer it?

Edited: 02 February 2011 at 11:38 AM by mbirdi
 02 February 2011 11:55 AM

simongallagher

Originally posted by: simongallagher

I hate to say it, but if you look closely at the IET's constitution I think you will find this is not the case. It is there to serve the engineering community, who may or may not be members. Membership is basically a way of raising income to achieve its charitable aims.

Of course, it may (and does) decide to provide services to members to encourage them to join/remain, but as I understand it that is not its primary aim.

I can accept that, but it is members who decide what services the IET provides and to whom.

I agree that some things at the IET should change, and am glad to see that things are changing. Over the lat few years, younger engineers have been much more involved in running the IET, although there are still pleanty who think we are not qualified to have such a say.

There are still pleanty more who want things changed, but are not prepared to give the time and effort to change things!
 02 February 2011 11:59 AM

amillar

I get the impression that the management of the prestige buildings (Savoy Place, Austin Court, and the other one which I can't remember) is now seen as an income management stream rather than as a service to (I agree few) members. I was feeling quite communist about Savoy Place a year or two back, but having been to a few events there recently it does seem to be becoming increasingly disconnected from the IETs function which, paradoxically, seems to make it more worthwhile, as long as the management of this is not distracting the IET from its real work.

Of course the other problem is, how many members do want the ccards discussed here? It may may 99%, or it may be just those posting here, or anything in between. There doesn't seem to be an effective way of the IET understanding its members needs without huge expenditure. I think that's a bigger problem.

02 February 2011 01:07 PM

mbirdi

There doesn't seem to be an effective way of the IET understanding its members needs without huge expenditure. I think that's a bigger problem.

When I used to attend a number of free events, the IET would email me requests to fill out surveys about what I thought of it. They could adopt the same principle to find out members' views on services.

Edited: 02 February 2011 at 01:33 PM by mbirdi
 02 February 2011 01:29 PM

faisal18may1982

Mehmood, Good idea

IMO - all we need now is a response from The IET / Membership Services detailing if they are OR are not going to pursue the Registration Cards request further.
 03 February 2011 09:01 AM

amillar

Originally posted by: mbirdi
There doesn't seem to be an effective way of the IET understanding its members needs without huge expenditure. I think that's a bigger problem.

When I used to attend a number of free events, the IET would email me requests to fill out surveys about what I thought of it. They could adopt the same principle to find out members' views on services.

The trouble is, where do they stop? What tends to happen when organisations try this is the surveys become so general that they become meaningless. Also, it works where you are saying whether an existing service is good or bad, not so good for suggesting new services (which is the problem here). I can well imagine an IET survey which says (for example) "do you value the membership card"? this gives a simple 1-5 answer which can easily be analysed. As soon as the survey asks the open question "what could we improve about the membership card?" there is no easy way of analysing this.

Now, if the IET thinks a significant proportion of its members believe that the membership card should have post-moninals on then it could possibly survey the membership to say "would you pay an extra £5 a year (or whatever) to have post-nominals on your card?". But the Catch-22 is, how does the IET know that enough members care to make it worthwhile spending the money (and it does cost money) to ask the question? History shows that, for example, a strong feeling on these forums does not neccesarily represent a strong feeling across the membership (those of us who were in the IEE before the "merger / name change" know this very well, these forums were almost unanimously opposed to it!).

However, as you say, the IET does carry out various cheap surveys already. I can imagine a scheme by which an initial suggestion is then surveyed in a simple way, by questionnaire following events etc, and if the response to that is positive then a more thorough study is carried out. I don't believe the IET should be run by a very few people shouting loudly, but equally I think it needs to get much, much better at listening.

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.