Topic Title: Engineering Council Registration Card
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 January 2011 12:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 January 2011 12:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Aitken1953

I have an IET Card that shows my grade of membership, I am registered with EC but do not have an EC registration card, my IET card shows nothing of EC registration, if I want my EC registration number I have got to go to my certificate and get it - Why dont IET or EC bother with EC registration cards ? - No one seems concerned that members cannot demonstrate EC registration without carrying around their IET Diploma
 25 January 2011 01:45 PM

mbirdi

I don't see why the IET cannot offer a service to its members in the way insurance companies do for their members?

With insurance companies, one could ask for full comprehensive cover, enhanced courtesy car, legal cover, top notch breakdown service and no voluntary contribution to pay in the event of an accident. This would raise the premium, but if members want this, then it's available.

The IET could offer its members something like Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze service. And I bet Aitken1953 wouldn't mind paying for Platinum service, because he probably can afford it.

It might even bring in more needed funds to the IET. Give members what they want.
 25 January 2011 02:35 PM

Aitken1953

Your on the money again Mbirdi
 25 January 2011 03:03 PM

faisal18may1982

Why doesn't The IET replace the standard Membership Card and update it to suit each member, to reflect the Membership Grade / Professional Registration.

How much extra would it cost per card (inc. admin cost)?

I understand times are hard, given the current financial climate but if this is a requirement, The IET should be able to offer an acceptable solution.

A solution could be to have a selectable option to receive the Diary OR & Membership Card. (Diary is optional at moment).

If financing the cards is a problem, I wouldn't mind paying a small extra if this is one of my requirements.

As Mbirdi pointed out "It might bring in more needed funds".

It may also attract more members.

Yes Please - I wish to have a Card detailing my EC registration details.

Edited: 25 January 2011 at 03:12 PM by faisal18may1982
 25 January 2011 06:43 PM

jcm256

I have got one looking at it now, it's a blue & white credit card with The Engineering Council logo, and it shows your Name, registration number, date of issue and what you are registered as in large white letters. Why don't you apply for one? to the Engineering Council.

Sorry I had a look through the EC site they don't seem to issue those cards anymore.
At one time they also did supply two magazines each year, whatever happened to them and why they stopped issuing cards I don't know.
Regards
jcm

Edited: 25 January 2011 at 10:34 PM by jcm256
 26 January 2011 06:49 AM

rar

jcm256
When it is been issued?
 26 January 2011 08:20 AM

Aitken1953

EC used to issue registration cards, and at a guess I would say it was 15 years ago, they used to cost £5.

COME ON IET LET GET SOME POSITIVE RESPONSE ON THIS ISSUE
 26 January 2011 11:56 AM

danielscott

In 1995 when I registered I received a card from the EC, but cannot remember if I had to pay a fee to receive it.

It was credit card size with two thirds of the front dark blue & which included the EC crest , my name and registration number. The other third was gold with my registration level of Incorporated Engineer stated and also date of registration.

The back had a signature strip and also included several paragraphs for its use.

Daniel
 26 January 2011 03:56 PM

rar

ECUK Web Site Enquiry

Enquiry:

Tell me please if a Registration Card is available for registrant.
Thank you.
Regards.

Reply:
Good afternoon

Thank you for your enquiry.

We no longer issue registration cards. We do have other products available.. Please follow this link for more information -

http://www.engc.org.uk/products.aspx

Regards

Registration Data Administrator
 26 January 2011 05:09 PM

mbirdi

It doesn't seem worth the bother getting registered. There's no proper coat of arms on the EC registration certificate. Just a couple of blue squares and that's your lot. So much for imagination, which I thought engineers were supposed to have, when applied to innovation and creativity.

Edited: 27 January 2011 at 01:22 PM by mbirdi
 26 January 2011 09:49 PM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: mbirdi

It doesn't seem worth the bother getting registered.
One opinion
There's no proper coat of arms on the EC registration certificate.
What ever did that matter? The Royal College of Arms has nothing at all to do with Royal Charters - just because a Chartered Body has a right to ask for Arms doesn't mean it's right/relevant to do so?
Just a couple of blue boxes and that's your lot. So much for imagination, which I thought engineers were supposed to have, when applied to innovation and creativity.
Again - the question of Artists vs Scientists or "Technologists".

Personally, I'm happy with "Artist", and I like Coats of Arms too !!!

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 26 January 2011 10:56 PM

faisal18may1982

Just a small request.

Please could The IET contribute to this topic, in order to enable us (members) to reflect on the reason for not being issued with a Membership Card detailing our Professional Registration details.

Many thanks in advance.

Faisal
 27 January 2011 06:08 PM

jcm256

Rar, sorry for late reply, yes it was over 15 years ago that I got the registration card cost £5 and am sure I got an Engineering Council tie at the same time. Surprisingly the card would be relevant today as the logo states The Engineering Council.
Regards
J Moore IEng MIET
 28 January 2011 06:26 AM

rar

jcm256
Thank you
 28 January 2011 09:20 AM

amillar

I'm fascinated: what are you going to do we these cards when you've got them? In 15 years of being registered with the EC I have never needed any proof of registration or my mumber - I'm just wondering what I've been missing out on? (I think I did show my IEE/IET card once to get into Savoy Place.)

Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 28 January 2011 12:34 PM

danielscott

A lot of members don't think it's necessary to be registered with the EC and that is their personal decision, just like the many thousands of engineers who feel being registered with an institution to gain designations is not worth the effort or worthwhile having.

I think the same applies to the card. Some feel it would be better to have a card rather than not have one. Personal choice.

I have only produced my card once in 15 years, but I felt at the time of registration back then, that it was better to have one, than not.

Regards,

Daniel
 28 January 2011 01:23 PM

faisal18may1982

I concur with danielscott,

Personal choice.

IMO:

- Easier than carrying around the EC Registration Cert or IET Diploma.

- Same as having a Photocard Driving License
 28 January 2011 04:10 PM

faisal18may1982

Sent an enquiry to The IET regarding Membership Cards and the reply is below:

-----------

Dear Mr ...,

Thank you for your email.

designatory letters are not included on each card as these details can change, including them would mean that replacement cards would be required more frequently - at greater cost to the IET.

Cards are intended to demonstrate Membership rather than level of qualification, however if you want proof of these you can require a certification letter.

Kind Regards,

Member and Customer Service Executive

The IET

-----------------

The problem is the COST.
 29 January 2011 11:14 AM

rar

But is it really that hard for the IET to give a card to its members stating the qualification?
The IEEE-USA does it every year.
The IEEE card(similar to a credit card, but less thick) shows:

Front
The year(number) Logo IEEE
Advancing Technology for Umanity
Name and PE if a professional engineer
Grade
Member number
years of Membership
Valid through the end of the year
Signature of the President

Back
Info about the IEEE
Member signature

Edited: 29 January 2011 at 03:05 PM by rar
 31 January 2011 12:14 PM

agnessegal

Yes - the problem is cost.
If we were to issue cards with registration details on them we would have to issue cards every year after we had received confirmation from the member, by receipt of their membership fee, that they wish to maintain their membership and registration.
We have chosen not to do that, not only because of the cost of the cards and the postage, but also for the additional staff resource required to manage that whole process. If any member requires proof of their membership or registration status we are very happy to provide them with a letter.

Agnes Segal
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.