Increase font size
Topic Title: Assessment of qualifications
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 December 2010 05:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 December 2010 05:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jakegreenland

Hopefully someone here can offer some advice on this matter. I've been looking at registering recently as C.Eng. and recently had a nice chat with a chap at an IET workshop who told me that because I have a non-accredited degree [but still was predominantly electronic engineering based] I'd need to get my qualifications assessed before applying to ensure I met the required standard.

I've emailed the profreg helpdesk and just received boilerplate back on what competencies I would need to demonstrate etc. What I don't want to do is spend substantial amounts of money on an application only to have it rejected at the first step due to my degree.

So can anyone point me in the right direction, have I been misadvised or do I indeed need to get my qualifications assessed ?

For the record I have a B.Sc in biomedical engineering from the university of salford. In terms of taking my learning on to masters level I work in the data networking field as a design consultant and have since taking my learning to Cisco CCIE which I believe demonstrates the appropriate level of knowledge but I have no way of knowing if my belief is even close to the reality of the applications process.

Thanks in advance

-------------------------
Jake Greenland, CEng MIET.
CCIE #22595
 06 December 2010 06:31 PM

DavidParr

Hi Jake, the lack of an accredited degree will no longer prevent you obtaining CEng providing you can demonstrate that you have the necessary competences. What is important is that you are operating at CEng level.

I suggest you ask for the services of a PRA to help you. I can do this if you wish, but you might prefer someone in your own area?

Best Regards,

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 07 December 2010 11:19 AM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: jakegreenland
So can anyone point me in the right direction, have I been misadvised or do I indeed need to get my qualifications assessed ?

Although I'm not a CEng, I'm fully aware of the merits of CCIE. This is the highest networking qualification that can be achieved and is recognised as such throughout the world.

The combination of your degree plus CCIE and job title suggests you'll achieve CEng with no problem. A panel setup to assess CEng applications, particularly in the field of IT or networking, would be greatly enhanced if one of the panel members were CCIE.

If by any chance you don't achieve CEng than, in my opinion, the IET is not fit for purpose.

Hope that helps.

Edited: 07 December 2010 at 11:48 AM by mbirdi
 07 December 2010 05:16 PM

jakegreenland

Thank you both.

Interestingly David it was a PRA who told me I needed to get my quals assessed but it was at a short chat at a workshop so I think I shall take your advice David and contact a PRA local to myself for a more detailed chat.

Thanks again

Jake Greenland, CEng MIET.
CCIE #22595
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.