Increase font size
Topic Title: Applying for CEng -a Case Study
Topic Summary:
Created On: 24 October 2010 10:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 October 2010 10:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sunnyboy

http://www.tricorrnet.strath.a...20personal%20story.htm

-------------------------
Luciano Bacco
 24 October 2010 11:39 AM

DavidParr

Interesting article, and thanks for posting that Luciano.

I think it is worth pointing out that it records how things used to be, and that the registration process is now more straightforward. Also the academic requirements are more flexible in that lack of "exemplifying qualification" doesn't necessarily prevent one from attaining CEng.

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 02 November 2010 12:28 PM

dvaidr

David. The process is not more straightforward.

You might percieve that to be the case, but I can assure you that it isn't the case.

As an example of just how 'straightforward' it is, I have a meeting which the manager of registration has arranged in Glasgow this month to discuss the five year debacle which is my CEng application amongst other pertinent topics.

Do you call that straightforward!? (And no, I'm no the only one)

That said, troll versus human? Ah, that'll be the answer. Now, if I'd only been a human.......
 02 November 2010 01:51 PM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: DavidParr
I think it is worth pointing out that it records how things used to be, and that the registration process is now more straightforward.

Making it more straightforward isn't going to make much difference to those who don't meet the higher standards required these days. Except for the quick turn a round of the rejection letters.

What will be interesting to see is the IET's and EC's response when the big fat graduate pipe begins to run out following the introduction of higher University tuition fees? Then who are they going to present their CEng certificates to?

Oh do see to it that my CEng and IET Fellowship certificates are ready for me when the time comes, there's a good chap. Oh, and I prefer to have white LED lights around the frames. It's so to light up my toilet when I need to use it at night. Saving on carbon footprint and all that.

His Lordship

Edited: 03 November 2010 at 10:32 AM by mbirdi
 02 November 2010 06:45 PM

DavidParr

When I agreed to be a PRA, it was because I was convinced that I would be able to help engineers achieve the recognition they deserve. I am a strong believer in real fairness (one might say a rather devalued word at the moment!), and would not have volunteered had I thought the IET were operating in any other way.

First hand experience has convinced me that those who can demonstrate the competences will receive this recognition. I have been pleased to witness repeatedly, and at first hand, engineers with a whole range of formal qualification levels now being recognised and registered with the Engineering Council. I think I am probably most pleased to see really excellent people with HNDs who are now achieving CEng - well overdue in my opinion!

The IET is an inclusive organisation, and has processes in place to correct ALL anomalies that may occur, as indeed they sometimes must because people do make mistakes. Importantly the IET is maintaining standards and is most definitely making the registration process more straight forward.

Some people, unfortunately, are not able to demonstrate that they are performing at an acceptable level for the registration category they wish to achieve. Everyone in this situation is told of their shortfalls, and given advice and support to help them, and it is up to the individual to decide what is best for them.

I'm happy to address any individual query by private message!!

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 03 November 2010 07:01 AM

dvaidr

David, I have to watch what I'm saying here but you can only be as good as the system in which you operate. You can never buck the system, you can never change the system. That said, it never stops from you trying to do the right thing, but even this has drawbacks. You try to do what is right and your name is suddenly tarnished. Keep up the sterling work, David.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.