IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Not a Chartered Engineer in sight!
Topic Summary: Looking at a different discipline
Created On: 03 August 2010 11:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 August 2010 11:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AncientMariner

With my County Councillor hat on, I recently received a copy of a document from a firm of Consulting Engineers and Transportation planners, a Quality Assured company under BS EN ISO 9001:2000.

Looking at the attached letterhead, I note:-

Director (a) B.Sc

Director (b) I.Eng, FIHE, FCIHT (Fellow Institute of Highway Engineers, Fellow Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation)

Director (c) BA (Hons), MSc MCILT, MCIHT (Member Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, Member Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation)

Director (d) MCIHT

Director (e) MCIHT

Consultant (f) MCIHT

I cannot help thinking that there seems to be an advantage in having Chartered in the professional bodies title.....?

-------------------------
Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET
 10 August 2010 11:18 AM

BradC

I think the IET as a professional body is chartered by the Privy Council, but they choose to be modest and don't have this title in their name.

In this context, I think it just gives the IET the power to act as a person, rather like a 'corporation'.

The Privy Council Website gives further information on this.
Link to Privy-council.org.uk
Unless the Individuals have other professional titles, you could assume they are not necessarily chartered engineers.

A final thought is that, the individual qualification of being a chartered engineer is granted by the engineering council and not by the 'professional engineering institution' to which we are members of.

Unfortunately not all members feel obliged to pursue the professional qualifications perhaps because very few occupations in engineering make it compulsory by licence. (Mining, civil and aeronautical).

Edited: 10 August 2010 at 11:34 AM by BradC
 03 September 2010 01:59 PM

depthsheights

AncientMariner,
I believe it might seem as if it is not so enforced in the job requirements and all that but I'd tell you it makes a whole difference sometimes in the renumeration. Although not a CEng yet, I am in the process and I think it would be a worthwhile qualification.

Joe Ekanem MSc. MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.