Increase font size
Topic Title: IEng Application
Topic Summary: Delay
Created On: 28 July 2010 08:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 July 2010 08:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CCorken

I sent an application for IEng to the IET in April and recieved word shortly after that I should get a date for an interview within 8 weeks. 14 weeks have now passed and I have not heard anything in relation to reasons for the delay. I have contacted several IET staff, to no avail. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems or can advise. Chris Corken MIET

Edited: 28 July 2010 at 10:06 PM by CCorken
 28 July 2010 09:20 PM

jcm256

That not good not good at all, what will be the excuse; I am sure someone in authority at IET will reply soon.
John Moore I Eng MIET
 31 July 2010 05:36 PM

derrickhill

i had exactly the same problem and eventually gave up. even after trying to contact a local mentor
 01 August 2010 11:26 AM

DavidParr

I am only answering on behalf of myself, not in any official capacity, but I think it is purely down to the very large number of applicants. The system seems to be creaking under the strain - a victim of its own success at introducing the new forms and procedures . It recently took a senior colleague of mine with an open and shut case 6 months to get through the process.

I have been involved in a number of registration surgeries, all seriously over subscribed, and the IET staff who I know are working very hard. Also, you must remember that the appraisers etc. all work as volunteers.

It would be helpful if the institution could find a way of keeping applicants better informed, but I know how hard they are working.

Derrick/Chris, I will be happy to unofficially take up your cases if you want to send me a PM,

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 01 August 2010 01:14 PM

jcm256

Only for information:

The ITP says 20 weeks, they are not a licensing body but offers registration through an agreement with the IET

http://www.theitp.org/profreg/FAQ#faq8

http://www.theitp.org/profreg/howtoapply

Regards.
 03 August 2010 12:55 PM

CCorken

Thanks for the offer David, really appreciate your input. I eventually got talking to someone and hopefully an interview can be arranged soon. Your comments about keeping applicants informed would make a lot of difference. I was pleasantly surprised at how painless and quick the application was progressed and I suppose this led to my frustration at the long wait. I will keep you posted. Chris Corken MIET
 03 August 2010 12:58 PM

CCorken

Derrick, I can pass on a few email addresses and phone numbers for people I have been speaking to??

Chris Corken MIET
 04 August 2010 01:01 PM

faramog

The staff bit is relatively quick unless there is something unusual (education often). Then volunteers get involved at a pre interview review (not always - depends on application). The interview then has to be arranged.... all if this is via volunteers who mostly work for a living. When I applied 20 odd years ago it took nearly 9 months. It's a lot shorter now with the aim from application to decision being 3 - 4 months. But this is dependant on availability of volunteers... need more....

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.