Increase font size
Topic Title: FAO Roy Bowdler
Topic Summary: Report Writing Route to CENG
Created On: 01 May 2010 04:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 May 2010 04:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

garrysev

Roy

I notice in your reply to Barry Hughes's query about the technical report writing route to IEng/CEng (19/4/10) that you state "Please be aware that there are recent changes in The IET approach to technical reports following a working party study".

Can you point to the location on the website where and what these changes are please? It is frustrating enough to work around the site as it is without changes being made and no notification by the IET

Thanks
 04 May 2010 02:16 PM

roybowdler

Firstly an apology.

There is a section of the website within the professional registration section which gives advice on "further learning" including guidance on technical reports.

The recent work I referred to in my earlier response has left this guidance looking increasingly dated and the dilemma is whether to remove it pending an alternative or leave it available. On balance we felt that it was better to leave the earlier advice until it is definitively replaced. The process that we have begun to use is still in a transitional phase. Also the principles being applied to the assessment of experienced candidates are yet to be formally supported by Engineering Council.

I accept that the website could mislead and it will be updated in the near future. For the moment everyone actually in the process of assessment is given individual advice.

For any experienced Engineer planning to apply for professional registration please note the following.

. The IET assesses the professional competence of engineers. Formal qualifications especially exemplifying awards provide excellent evidence of fundamental knowledge and make the assessment more straightforward.
. An experienced engineer may have developed sufficient knowledge and understanding without having enough evidence of academic study or assessment at the right level.
. Where an experienced engineer is demonstrating professional practice comparable to others suitable for registration, the IET assessors will look for evidence of knowledge being applied.
. When having examined the evidence as a whole, the IET assessors feel that there is some doubt, they will request additional evidence. The request will depend on the extent of the doubt and the engineer's individual situation.

The main change has been away from a lengthy "Special Technical Report" being the standard solution applied to any doubtful situation, towards a more flexible case-by-case approach.

There is also recognition that knowledge should be judged in comparison with an up- to-date engineer at a similar career stage. Although the content of accredited degrees provides a useful benchmark, much of the mathematics and abstract theory studied in preparation for an engineering career may not be in use by experienced engineers.

Changes to the process are intended to enhance quality standards whilst providing fair access to assessment and quicker decisions in non-standard situations. Every candidate is interviewed by experienced registered engineers.

-------------------------
Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 09 May 2010 12:20 PM

garrysev

Roy

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. There is not a lot else i could ask and i do like the sound of the flexible approach to assessment.

Thank you
Garry
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.