Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Technical Report Route
Topic Summary:
Created On: 19 April 2010 10:10 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 April 2010 10:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 2
Joined: 28 June 2007

I am a mature EngTech and MIMechE, I would like to advance to IEng and at the same time I am considering transfering my registration to the IET as my work is now very much IT rather than mechanical. The problem is that there is such a mixed bag of opinions out there ref the report route that I am not sure what to do, do I bite the bullet and have a go or do a degree as this also interests me. Any guidance views etc would be very much appreciated

Edited: 19 April 2010 at 10:19 PM by barryhughes
 20 April 2010 10:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 1771
Joined: 10 October 2007

Do both and then when you get your degree it will either assist you to get your IEng, because possibly the report route did not work out, or it may assist you to upgrade to CEng. The degree will also demonstrate how you are keeping your skills up-to-date and of course provide for your interest.

 21 April 2010 09:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 276
Joined: 25 July 2008

See below my response to a recent post. There was a minor error in that the Engineering Council guidance is still "draft" but has been given to institutions.

Please be aware that there are recent changes in The IET approach to technical reports following a working party study. Engineering Council has also recently updated its guidance to institutions. Past experiences may not therefore reflect the current situation.

The IET requests additional information from experienced engineers where it appears that they may have had the opportunity to make technical decisions at the appropriate level. However it may not be clear to IET assessors from the qualification and career history information provided, that the technical knowledge or decision making capability is sufficient. Clarification or additional competency statements are normally the first step. A report may then be asked for if significant doubt remains.

A work based report, refereed paper, patent or other similar evidence with some explanation via an introduction/linking commentary is ideal. The report needs to provide a credible basis for a technical interview.

The standard expected is comparable to that of an equivalent practising engineer with exemplifying qualifications. Although exemplifying qualifications help to provide signposts and benchmarks, IET assessors will only consider theory that is appropriate to the situation and used by other experienced registered Engineers in practice.

Difficulties can arise where a candidate sets out to create a special report for the purposes of demonstrating their knowledge, or uses the process as an opportunity to learn. I would advise in this situation, that a module or full course of study at masters level (CEng) or Bachelors (IEng) may be a better approach.

Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 23 April 2010 03:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 2138
Joined: 01 April 2006

Note: This site below is not the IET way but will give you some idea of a topic to pick from that might help as it shows a comparison between EC and mature candidate route.


See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2016 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.