Increase font size
Topic Title: CEng Interview - Supporting Document for Interview
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 April 2010 09:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 April 2010 09:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cyrusng2006

Hi everyone,

I have just informed that my CEng interview will be arranged shortly.

While I was told to bring the supporting document during the interview, I would appreciate if you, especially recently chartered, could advice what kind of the document or information you woud have prepared.

Since I was worked for the M&E consulting companies in related to the Building Services Sector, I concern when I bring along with any information regarding the previous projects, such as design drawings in terms of schematics or report as supporting document, it would potentially disclose some of the information from previous Clients.

Does any encounter this situation and how to deal with it?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Cyrus
 11 April 2010 06:52 PM

kevinprior1

Hi Cyrus,
For my interview I took along evidence which related to each project I had referred to in my competencies.

For example I had referred to a particular project across a number of competenices, I had photographs, minutes from meetings, project reports etc, all to show that I had carried out the project and what part I had to play...all essential to prove that I had indeed done what I had said in my application.

From my experience and from what others have told me, one of the main aspects of the interview is to delve deeper into what you have used as evidence, to fill in any gaps and to offer you the opportunity to expand on what you have said in your application.
Nobody will be trying to trip you up, but they will want to know...and you to prove that you have carried out what you have said in your application.

If you feel that any evidence might break confidentiality I would not include it, can you bring in aspects which would not cause you a probIem?
I know there are sections on the IET website relating to exactly this, I would suggest having a read of these. Also do you have a PRA? It may be a good idea to ask for advice.

Cheers

Kevin
 12 April 2010 05:28 PM

Cyrusng2006

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your advice. At least I have a direction to prepare the information for the interview.

By the way, how many projects you had prepared for the application? Have you prepare a power point presentation or just keep a portfolio to the interviewers review during the interview?

In my case, I had quoted several projects in my application. Therefore, I think it would be only able to keep the information in folders.

Would you share more experience of your interview? i.e. how to kick start? Thanks.

Cheers,
Cyurs
 12 April 2010 09:04 PM

kevinprior1

Hi Cyrus,
I used a folder for my portfolio of evidence, I had a section for each piece of evidence I used in my application. My idea was to be able to show in more detail all of the items I had highlighted in my application. I am at home at the moment and my folder is at work but I had about 15 - 20 sections in the folder ranging from project evidence through to staff reviews, training plans etc which showed management skills etc.

I would advise against a power point presentation as I don't think the interview lends itself to this sort of presentation, although others may disagree and I would welcome their comments. Also from what you describe putting your projects in folders does sound like the right idea.

I would not worry about how to kick start the interview, in mine the interviewers put me at ease by their style and started off by describing what a CEng is and what they are looking to find from the interview. They started off by asking a question about one of my pieces of evidence and after relating this back to my folder it just flowed from there. The whole thing went over very quickly as once a question was asked I was able to relate it to my file and more discussion points were raised etc etc.

At the end they asked if there was anything I would like to add / say, so if there is anything you want to say which has not been mentioned which is critical to your application, now is the time to say it.

One piece of advice I would give is to know your application inside out and to also take a copy of it with you (I had one in my folder) I went over my evidence and tried to think of questions I could be asked about a week or two beforehand, much like preparation for a job interview.

I would also recommend thanking them for their time at the end of the interview, they are volunteers and have given up their time to be there.

I found out about a month later that I had gained my CEng, it was a little delayed due to Christmas.

Most of all relax, prepare well and enjoy the whole experience.

Cheers

Kevin
 13 April 2010 06:11 PM

Cyrusng2006

Hi Kevin,

Thank you so much for your experience sharing.

Your preparation is so systematic and well organized. I believe you have been continuously prepared for a long time.

I will try my best to tidy up the related information for interview. Thanks.

Cheers,
Cyrus
 13 April 2010 08:17 PM

kevinprior1

Hi Cyrus,
Your welcome, and good luck for the interview.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Kevin
 14 April 2010 10:28 AM

AndyTaylor

Originally posted by: kevinprior1 I would not worry about how to kick start the interview, in mine the interviewers put me at ease by their style and started off by describing what a CEng is and what they are looking to find from the interview. They started off by asking a question about one of my pieces of evidence and after relating this back to my folder it just flowed from there. The whole thing went over very quickly as once a question was asked I was able to relate it to my file and more discussion points were raised etc etc.

That's how it went for me (early last year). The interview was started by the reviewers, and I don't remember any significant 'over to you' moments where I would be left to make a speech, it was all questions driven. It was actually quite enjoyable and the interview was not in any way stressful, but I could tell that the questions were probing and believe that had I exaggerated in my work history then they would have recognised that.

-------------------------
Andy Taylor CEng MIET
 14 April 2010 05:28 PM

faramog

Very well put Andy - I am an interviewer and I can tell you, its pretty easy after a while to spot the exaggeration and occassional (regretably) lies. The interview is not about catching anyone out. A professional engineer should have honesty and integrety. Where a candidate is strong technically, they may be weaker managerially and vice versa (although not always). We look for a balance.

I like the thanking idea - does happen, but not very often. It won't change the recommendation, but its nice to be appreciated and its polite :-)

Evidence - dont worry about confidentiality. If a candidate offers to show us something we generally look at a cursory glance - its about impression of the complexity of the document rather than specific content, but in dificcult, or marginal cases, it does help us focus on the standard a candidate is working at. Above all, if you are uncomfortable speaking about a topic either for confidentiallity or otherwise, then say so and move to something you are comfortable with - there are no 'marks' either way. The object of the excercise is for us to assess professionalism and overall competence - no-one gets hung up on one specific detail. As much as possible, we try to help you 'over' the line and to recognise what you might not consider as evidence of competence.

Glad to here those of you who have been through the process have enjoyed it - it should be enjoyable. I don't give up a whole day to be miserable or bored - its has to be fun for us too !!

Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
 15 April 2010 08:23 AM

AndyTaylor

Originally posted by: faramog I like the thanking idea - does happen, but not very often. It won't change the recommendation, but its nice to be appreciated and its polite :-)

I found it to be a quite natural reaction to thank the interviewers, while I didn't go into the interview full of fear I was pleased to find that they made the process easy for me.

I thanked the interviewers for their time, especially since they had both travelled to my company to see me rather then me travelling. I also said that regardless of the outcome, I had found the whole process useful since I had spent some time considering my own position and capabilities.

I believe we all enjoyed the interview, which over-run by 20 minutes and there were a few laugh-out-loud moments for us all.

From what I have read about the interview experiences of many others, my experience was not significantly different.

Andy Taylor CEng MIET
 24 September 2013 05:30 AM

hansmru

Hello everyone,

I am Hans from Mauritius. I am currently applying to become a member of IET and i have gone through the documents of CEng. I have few questions concerning the registration:

1. What was the time interval in between applying for the CEng and obtaining the date of interview?

2. Any idea of the approximate duration of the interview?

I hope interview over video conferencing will be okay. Just worried how i'll get my CEng.

Regards,
Hans.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.