IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: IEng carries similar status to CEng
Topic Summary: Latest Register News from EC.
Created On: 12 March 2010 06:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 April 2010 10:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Frank Peacock

I have decided to to face it. No body loves us.

Our parent the former EC expired and left us to the new EC who in my opinion appears to has constantly struggled with a kind of orphan Professional Engineer that the rest of the family has never wanted under around the dinner table as in their eyes our legitimacy seems to be someway in doubt and they don't want to be associated directly with us.

Lets not forget that the original idea of Tech Eng prior to IEng was to create a body of Professional Engineers on one register which had all earned their qualifications. A register free from people who were not trained as Engineers but had gained their membership by conferment. This was demanded by the other European states. I can see their point of view. Why should they have wanted parity with an Engineering Profession whos governance is set by people qualified to be MDs politicians or lawyers or grocers or accountants.

Thankfully those days are gone but are largely forgotten.

PS I hear the tiger economy manufacturing countrys of India and China are governed mainly by Engineers. Is there a message for the UK.
 14 April 2010 05:55 PM

dvaidr

Originally posted by: westonpa

"but we do our profession no service if we undermine CEng."

This is a good point and I cannot argue with it.

However the EC/IET message is no longer prominant in society because the world has moved on and that is the problem. I do not need to speak against IEng and CEng to devalue them I just need to speak about other things which then gain more value. IEng and CEng still have value but whereas sometime ago they stood above many other things now the many other things have caught up.

Customer:

IEng/CEng may pretty up my CV but in reality I can get by just fine without them and thus they are of little use and little importance.

EC/IET:

Where is your counter argument in modern terms that convinces me otherwise and how will you inform me of this when I am not really that interested in what you have to say?

Regards.

I couldn't agree more. There is so much overlap, dubiety, confusion now. I did a CEng job in three roles and at the time I was IEng (and made some pretty sweeping changes and cost reductions to boot)

To be honest, it meant everything to me when I was young lad in Northumberland where my grandfather worked as a Mining Engineer. The fact he was Chartered always made it seem that bit better and suppose (it was in those days.)
 14 April 2010 06:43 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: dvaidr
To be honest, it meant everything to me when I was young lad in Northumberland where my grandfather worked as a Mining Engineer. The fact he was Chartered always made it seem that bit better and suppose (it was in those days.)

This is a great point, i.e., it was the respect for your grandfather and his workmanship and knowledge which made you think more of 'Chartered'. I think that is the ideal situation whereby the 'engineer' improves the status.

Regards.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.