Increase font size
Topic Title: Passport Countersign
Topic Summary: MIET?
Created On: 06 March 2010 11:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 March 2010 11:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

simongallagher

Looking at a new passport application, and the list of people who can countersign the form includes:

member, associate or fellow of a professional body

Does that mean that someone with MIET status could countersign the application? I presume that the IET is a professional body.

It also includes Engineer (with professional qualifications), which I asumme in Ceng status.

There doesn't seem to be much advice abuot this on he IET website.

Thanks in advance.
 07 March 2010 03:47 PM

iie7815

In the past I have countersigned three or four passport
applications as a IEng which have been accepted without
any problem

Peter Archibald IEng MIET
 07 March 2010 09:21 PM

afwilson

This is mentioned on the IET website here. However, for advice you need to contact the Identity and Passport Service (IPS).

Originally posted by: simongallagher
There doesn't seem to be much advice about this on the IET website.

-------------------------
Andrew F Wilson
IET Governance & Legal Affairs
 08 March 2010 12:26 PM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: g3xoi
This certainly needs clarifying since membership grades were disconnected from qualifications - they still are connected in [most] other professional bodies.

I would certainly support MIET to be included in the list of people who can countersign. After all academic qualifications to degree level plus experience are required to obtain MIET and there are engineers in top jobs including senior University lectures in engineering and science departments who have MIET but not CEng or IEng. Don't they count as being professional? Check out the list below:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Tr...information/DG_174151

I think the reason why they say "engineer (with professional qualifications)" is to distinguish between cowboys who call them self engineers and those at professional level. Most registered engineers would interpret that as being CEng or IEng. However It doesn't take much to be a "Trade Union Officer".They just ask members to volunteer to be Officers and that's all there is to it. MIET is certainly well above that standard. And I can't see chiropodists building Aircraft, the internet, roads and Bridges any day?

Come on IET pull your finger out and do something useful for your members. Get MIET included on that list. We pay enough to earn it.

Edited: 08 March 2010 at 05:24 PM by mbirdi
 08 March 2010 12:26 PM

rar

Dear Mr.Wilson,
Are the IEngs and/or MIETs are able to countersign the passport
applications?
 08 March 2010 01:17 PM

amillar

Originally posted by: mbirdi
Check out the list below:

I notice that 'professional photographer' is on there, so rather than trying to find a CEng FIET PhD etc etc I suggest just nipping down to the bars in Soho on a Saturday night - there's usually plenty of professional photographers looking for models there... (or so I've heard )

Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 08 March 2010 03:41 PM

afwilson

Yes, providing they satisfy the stipulations listed on the IPS website.

Originally posted by: rar
Are the IEngs and/or MIETs are able to countersign the passport applications?

Andrew F Wilson
IET Governance & Legal Affairs
 08 March 2010 06:32 PM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: amillar
so rather than trying to find a CEng FIET PhD etc etc I suggest just nipping down to the bars in Soho on a Saturday night - there's usually plenty of professional photographers looking for models there... (or so I've heard )

I think you'll probably find a few more names on the list frequenting the Bars.

Having another look at the list and it does suggest MIET is suitable by way of the indirect statement as follows:

member, associate or fellow of a professional body

So I take back what I said before.........about the IET pulling it's finger out that is.

Interestingly enough the BCS, who used to have a big presence on the list some time back, seem to have gone off the radar.
 08 March 2010 07:37 PM

westonpa

Come on IET pull your finger out and do something useful for your members. Get MIET included on that list. We pay enough to earn it.

When we can sign a passport we know we have truly arrived....

Regards.
 08 March 2010 08:29 PM

mbirdi

Yes. We arrive in Acapulco!

Ole!

Edited: 09 March 2010 at 07:48 PM by mbirdi
 08 March 2010 08:33 PM

basil.wallace

I would certainly support MIET to be included in the list of people who can countersign. After all academic qualifications to degree level plus experience are required to obtain MIET and there are engineers in top jobs including senior University lectures in engineering and science departments who have MIET but not CEng or IEng. Don't they count as being professional?

What about EngTech's who have MIET with postgraduate level qualifications? Surely they are being discriminated.

--------------------------------------------------
Basil Wallace PgDip EngTech MIET
 08 March 2010 08:42 PM

mbirdi

Sorry for leaving you out Basil. With your PgDip, EngTech and MIET, you qualify 3 times over.
 10 March 2010 10:50 PM

simongallagher

Originally posted by: afwilson

This is mentioned on the IET website here. However, for advice you need to contact the Identity and Passport Service (IPS).

Originally posted by: simongallagher

There doesn't seem to be much advice about this on the IET website.

This brief section is about Ceng status, I am asking about MIET only, which is why I say there is very little on the IET website.

I contacted the IPS and asked them if it would be acceptable for me to sign a Passport application as a member of the IET with a Beng (Hons) degree.

The reply I got was:

Thank you for your enquiry

As a holder of a degree in engineering, you will be fully acceptable to countersign a passport application.

?The National Identity Card is launching in the UK. To find out more and register for updates, visit www.direct.gov.uk/identity?

Thank you.
Customer service e-mail team

So as far as they are concerned, all that is required is a degree in engineering. Perhaps the IET website could be updated?
 11 March 2010 10:36 AM

JamesGarrity

Hallo

Are they still going ahead with the National Identity Card? I thought that was one of the projects that was going to be shelved due to the Government having sold all the silver!

James Garrity BEng (Hons) MIET
 30 March 2010 11:53 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

allaway

It is definitely YES, I have been doing so for 30 years even when I was an Associate Member. None have been refused in all of that time. We are also accepted as referees for Firearms and Shotgun Certificates, Airport Security Passes and many others.
 31 March 2010 11:25 AM

simongallagher

Thanks for that!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.