Increase font size
Topic Title: EngTech
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04 March 2010 01:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 March 2010 01:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Scoey08

I would like to know if anyone has got EngTech status and what benefits did they find? I am considering applying but i am struggling to find any. Could i use it to negotiate a rise with my current employer? (i am a 'Trainee Electrical Engineer' at the minute. Thanks
 06 March 2010 05:41 PM

BradC

I would say that yes it is worth applying for EngTech Status. But I try not too consider too much the 'cost-benefit analysis'.

Unfortunately, when you 'raise your game' you also raise your annual subscription fee...

In a fair and just world, you would therefore expect your new status to improve your prospects and generally, I feel this is the case.

Getting registered would certainly help add something to your CV.

Doing your CPD also helps you get on in other ways. In my company many people seem to get irritated by some of the tasks we are assigned. This day and age their is a lot of change management taking place. For me, I have used some of this to my advantage by using it in my CPD and my development action plans.

It also helps if you talk to your employer about your pursuit for registration, they may help you out by involving you with things you can use for your portfolio, or help out with some training costs or even with your membership fees. My experience is that employers like to see their staff being motivated.

Being motivated and dilligent usually gets reflected in your salary review and seeking registration or doing your cpd is also worth a mention at appraisal time.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours, although I do hope that you feel encouraged to go for your professional registration!

Good luck and best wishes.
 06 March 2010 07:07 PM

ArthurHall

I dont disagree with any thing BradC has said. However it depends what industry you work in. I have been EngTech for about 20 years and it has done me no good whatsoever. I do belive in registration and think it is one way to raise the image of the profession, I am currently considering changing to IEng but again I will not get any benefit from doing so. However if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.
I would make some enquirys around your workplace to find out if there would be any direct benefit, but would also encourage registration anyway.
 13 March 2010 05:24 PM

DavidParr

Wilson479, I would suggest you run it past someone, for example a PRA. I would be more than willing to take a look if it would help you.
You have to remember, however that I am a Professional Registration Advisor and not a PROFESSIONAL Registration Advisor.

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 17 March 2010 11:24 AM

robmac72

DavidParr
I have just completed a SVQ level 4 in construction site management which show on the IET as being recognised as level IEng which i am going to apply for. I feel little like wilson479 about the money being non refundable if i have misread what is required. May I ask how would i get a second opinion about this before sending off the application?
Many Thanks
 17 March 2010 12:41 PM

DavidParr

Yes, send me a PM and we can take it from there!

-------------------------
David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.