Increase font size
Topic Title: Sponsor and Supporter for CEng registration
Topic Summary: Need clarification regarding Time your sponsor must know you
Created On: 22 February 2010 10:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 February 2010 10:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sidshekhar

Hello,

I am applying for CENg next month. I have an issue that I would like to clarify.I have changed employer in June 2009 and I have been in this company for 8 months now. The Criteria for sponsor and supporter states that these people must know the candidate for atleast 2 years.This is not possible with my current employer.Project Engineering Manager in my reporting line is a CEng but he has not known me for required 2 years.He has agreed to be my Sponsor but has asked me to confirm with IET about the requirement.My line manager (senior project engiener) has agreed to be my supporter. He is MIET and also member of institution of railway signalling engineers(IRSE). Can my line manager be my supporter although he is not a CEng himself.He is a member of scientific organisation IRSE which is equivalent.

Can anyone give guidance on this please.

Thanks,
Siddhartha
 25 February 2010 10:10 AM

faramog

Siddhartha,

There is obviously the 'ideal' situation, where both proposer and supporters are chartered and have professional knowledge of you for 2 years or more. In large numbers of cases this is not always possible. The process was revised a while ago and the IF reports (from the proposers and supportes) really only get used at the final review post interview: although as an interviewer we do find them useful in marginal cases.

Your case is not that unusual and I believe the approach taken by the IET is to be as flexible as possible whilst mainting standards. Your supporter is (you indicate) a chartered engineer and your engineering manager. This is ideal even though you have only been at the company 8 months or so. There is no requirement (although again it helps) for the supporters to be registered.

Understand the purpose of the proposer and supporter: to provide an 'independent' verification that what you place on your form is what you have done. That said, don't be under any illusion that at interview 'exagerations' are not spotable. The fact that proposers and supporters have known you and your work for some years gives us (assessors and interviewers) a measure of confidence. Again, thats the ideal, and I would stress it is not in practice absolute.

The new forms are considerably simpler to submit: essentially and slightly expanded CV and providing it indicates the right levels of activity and responsibility then that would normally be the only thing you submit. At the first stage of assessment, further information in particular areas may be sought so as to help the interviewers (and particulary you) prepare for the professional review.

I would very definitely recomment seeking the guidance of your local PRA who should be able to help you construct the application in the best light and pointing to the things we need to review at interview. The IET can point you to the right person, alternatively, go on the web site and there is a link to place your post code which then lists your local advisors.

If your still stuck, get in touch via PM and I will see what I can do to help you.

Hope this helps.

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
 28 April 2010 02:29 PM

Allyys

I have almost similar problem.

I live and work in Tokyo were there are very few CENG to be sponsor/supporter. In my institute there is not even a single CENG. Fortunately, I met few CENG in the IET lecture meeting that we do once in one or two month here in Tokyo and have agreed to be my supporter. I have known them only from last year when i started attending these meetings. I would like to know if there will no problem in using them as my supporter.
Thanks in advance
 03 July 2010 02:56 AM

hussainandbilal

I have also a simple question about sporter.

I want to know that for applying MIET do we need sporter or not ??

If some one could not find the sporter than what is the precedure to find Sporter

One more thing that sporter must be both CEng and MIET or it is not complusory, he can be just MIET

Please reply regarding Sporters
 06 July 2010 05:32 PM

jmtisme

I am a self employed electrician looking to join the IET as I am self employed and new to the Aberdeenshire area I am finding it hard to get a sponsor any help would be great
 07 July 2010 09:22 AM

sfchew

If you are in North Scotland please contact the following

http://www.theiet.org/local/uk...nd/north/contacts.cfm

Regards
Chris Chew
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.