IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Beng at Open Uni - short route to another degree.
Topic Summary: unsure on what to do
Created On: 21 February 2010 10:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 February 2010 10:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

thechubhunter

Hi

I have an undergrad in computing and a Pdip in a related field. I was wondering if it was a good idea to obtain another undergraduate degree and studying the OUs Beng as I only need a further 90s credits?

Another reason why I wish to do this is that my undergraduate degree is a third and I feel that if I obtained at least a 2:2 with this then it would look better on my CV or would doing this be just a waste of time?

cheers.
 21 February 2010 11:10 AM

westonpa

If you can add to your qualifications and improve the grades then it will improve your CV, career prospects and education and thus it is not a waste of time.

However do properly check with the OU, if you have not already done so, what you can use from your existing qualifications towards their BEng and what this would then do for your overall grading of it.

Regards.
 21 February 2010 11:39 AM

thechubhunter

Thanks, Yeah they are doing the credit transfer at the moment however they have already said that I should stick with IT related courses. Would having a Beng (IT heavy) possibly open up more opportunities?
 21 February 2010 01:34 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: thechubhunter

Would having a Beng (IT heavy) possibly open up more opportunities?

Possibly......but really than depends on you, for example if it gives you more confidence to apply for jobs that you would not currently apply for then yes. In your case you already have a higher level set of qualifications but the BEng will be an improvement. However, for 90 credits of study it would seem to be well worth the time and effort.

Regards.
 21 February 2010 05:05 PM

JamesGarrity

Hallo

I've just completed my BEng (Hons) with the OU. Can I suggest you drop an e-mail to the Engineering Department and discuss your options with them. There are two compulsory courses T191 and T397 and two compulsory summer schools, great fun but on both of mine the beer was not real ale.

The information for the full degree can be found here, and feel free to drop me a PM.

-------------------------
James Garrity BEng (Hons) MIET
 24 February 2010 10:08 AM

faramog

further learning and expanding capabilities and knowledge is never a waste of time :-)

Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
 24 February 2010 11:54 AM

MBagshawe

It's also worth considering how the OU BEng relates to professional registration. Last time I looked it wasn't accredited by the IET, so if you're looking to use it to demonstrate underpinning knowledge then the process is more involved.

Either way though I'd say go for it, learning is never a waste of time as others have said!
 24 February 2010 01:32 PM

JamesGarrity

Hi MBagshawe

Currently the OU is in discussions with the IET to get the BEng (Hons) accredited.

http://engineering.open.ac.uk/news

From personal experance the IET were happy to upgrade me from Student to member with a OU degree and old age <grin>

24 February 2010 03:46 PM

MBagshawe

I had heard that accreditation was on the horizon, and that other professional institutions had already taken that step. Has anyone heard anything from the IET on this?

I should graduate the OU BEng (Hons) next year; I'm TMIET EngTech at the moment so I'll be looking to move on then. It's good to hear that somebody has made progress with the same degree!

Originally posted by: JamesGarrity

Hi MBagshawe

Currently the OU is in discussions with the IET to get the BEng (Hons) accredited.

http://engineering.open.ac.uk/news

From personal experance the IET were happy to upgrade me from Student to member with a OU degree and old age <grin>
 03 March 2010 01:00 PM

dcanty

I confirm that the IET is in advanced discussions with the OU about accreditation. Many Incorporated and Chartered Engineers completed their studies at the OU and we welcome applications from OU graduates.

Dan Canty
Programme Accreditation Manager

Dan Canty
Accreditation & Awards Manager
The IET
 03 March 2010 04:09 PM

JamesGarrity

Hi Dan

Thank you for the confirmation. I am in the process of applying for either my IEng or CEng, decision to be made after I discuss my application with my local PRA, and currently working for the OUs MEng.

09 March 2010 08:54 AM

iie630326

Indeed, I was at an OU T885 Team Engineering weekend at the end of February where two IET accreditors were attending. They spent over an hour with my team and came away from the whole weekend very impressed with the course and the OU.

Here's hoping!

Originally posted by: dcanty

I confirm that the IET is in advanced discussions with the OU about accreditation. Many Incorporated and Chartered Engineers completed their studies at the OU and we welcome applications from OU graduates.

Dan Canty

Programme Accreditation Manager

Yours

Robert Miles, BSc(Hons), IEng, MIET
 09 March 2010 09:33 AM

JamesGarrity

Hi Robert

Out of interest what types of projects are done on the Team Engineering course? I'm planning to do the course in the November 2011 presentation. Feel free to PM me

Thanks

09 March 2010 12:31 PM

iie630326

Originally posted by: JamesGarrity

Hi Robert

Out of interest what types of projects are done on the Team Engineering course? I'm planning to do the course in the November 2011 presentation. Feel free to PM me

Thanks

Apparently, the projects through the different presentation are very varied. They have included designing, temporary shelters in disaster zones, windfarms, stadiums, bridges etc. But don't think this will necessarily a guide to what will be offered in November 2011.

It is the best course I have done! It is a real opportunity to discover skills you never knew you had.

Yours

Robert Miles, BSc(Hons), IEng, MIET

Edited: 09 March 2010 at 01:00 PM by iie630326
 09 March 2010 01:31 PM

JamesGarrity

Thanks Robert

It sounds fun, thankfully I've got the Project Managment course on my list of things to do.

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.