Increase font size
Topic Title: CEng application process
Topic Summary: CEng application process
Created On: 19 February 2010 09:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 February 2010 09:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

luzmila

Hi I am looking for some guidance on what is needed for me to apply for CEng.
I have downloaded the application form for professional registration.
I also have a summary of my experience which it has been split by all the different roles I have performed so far, next to each role I have pointed out the competences I think I have met.
My question is: What do I need to submit? Only the form? or can I submit the compilation I have put together?
Also If I do it using the Career Manager (which I have not used) will this replace the form?
Also, in the professional registration form, do I need to get signatures from my employers against each of the roles? for verification purposes?
Another question is:
According to the guidance notes, In the Professional Services, Papers Presented etc section I should write relevant technical reports I have been author of, do I need to attached copies of the front page of these reports when I submit my application? or just by listing them in this section will be enough?

Thanks in advance.
L.
 20 February 2010 07:02 PM

adamGreen

Hi Luzmila,

I'm just filling filling out my application too and have some similar questions. I'll put these in a different thread though, as not to highjack yours!

I think some of the questions you have could be answered by your CEng mentor. Do you have one? Or a professional registration advisor? I don't think I would have gotten anywhere near as close to the point I am now without my mentor.

Speaking of which, what's the difference between a CEng mentor in an accredited development scheme and a PRA?

Regards
Adam
 13 June 2010 03:05 PM

spadezman

when you find an answer buzz me here.

I think you should not submit the competency unless you are asked to. you should only fill up the application form and provide the supporter's inquiry form. that's what I'm trying to achieve now.
 21 June 2010 12:29 PM

faramog

The application process has been considerably simplified. The form and guidelines are easily downloadable.

You should fill in the form and only submit a further competence statement if requested to do so. The best thing is to ask a PRA to review your application and help you construct it in the most effective way. Avoid writting like a CV - if you review the guidelines and what the Engineering council (and hence the IET) are looking for, it is clarity about what YOU did; what YOU were responsible for; how YOU are a professional engineer.

To find your nearest PRA then just put your poscode in !!

http://www.theiet.org/careers/.../help/findadvisor.cfm

Hope this helps

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Prebble CEng MIEE
 22 June 2010 12:19 AM

ahouston

Adding to what has been said by Graham, the current appliocation (Section J) requires you to state your experience in terms of:-
"I was responsible for - - ", "I directed - - ", "I designed - - ", "I specified - - - " followed by some of the tools and skills/competencies you used such as "Theoretical Analysis and Practical Application", planning tools such as PERT & GANT Charts, the understanding of Risk in Engineering, etc, etc, etc.

Avoid "We did this - - " or "I assisted with - - " or "I was involved with - -" as the applocations is, as Graham said, about YOU and YOUR responsibilties.

Similarly, it is generally known that most Engineers work in some sort of Team, so don't waste space telling the assessors that ,"I was part of a team which - - "

You should, where possible, include Metrics such as size and make-up of teams you have led, budgets under your control, profit before tax, return on investment, etc.

A list of jobs/projects is not as valuable to assess your competence vs the above "Responsibilities and Accountabilities". Remembr, also, that your later experience (say the last 5 years) will be when you are most competent, so it is in those areas that you should provide more detail.

Remember, a CEng or IEng should be able to communicate facts clearly and consisely - so don't "ramble on" over many pages (aim for about 1 page per decade of employment).

If the assessors of this initial application require more information or specific details against the UK-Spec competencies, they will ask for it. If, at Stage 2, they feel that the application has sufficient merit, they will pass it to Stage 3, the Professional Registration Interview.

Some people find the current Career Manager (CM) tool allows them more scope than the newer "paper application". The Personal Profile of CM is equivalent to the new "paper form". The Professional Registration Assessment section of CM is equivalent to Part 2 (PQRD) of the old applocation form. By using CM you are, effectively, providing further information before it is requested. Bear in mind that CM is a tool for ongoing Professional Development and, as such, stores a lot more information than is currently required for initial assessment. unfortunately, you can't (at the moment) re-create the new form content in CM. My advice is that you shhould use CM for you registration applocation only if you have already started using it.

Covering Luz's questions:-
What do I need to submit? Only the form? or can I submit the compilation I have put together? Answer:- Only the form, the fee and your qualifications certificates.

Also, in the professional registration form, do I need to get signatures from my employers against each of the roles? for verification purposes? Answer:- No. The Sponsor and Supporter(s) should be chosen such that between them they are verifying ALL sections and facts set out on the form That's why you may need two supporters if one plus your Sponsor can't attest to some oyour experience.

According to the guidance notes, In the Professional Services, Papers Presented etc section I should write relevant technical reports I have been author of, do I need to attached copies of the front page of these reports when I submit my application? or just by listing them in this section will be enough? Answer :- Just list them with a very brief explanation, if required, on the content (if that's not obvious from the title). By the way, Professional Papers are expected to be outside of your normal employments - eg writing learned papers for publication in a professional Journal or Magazine NOT reports written to clients. Similarly, Professional Services are not what you do in your "Day Job".

Answering Adam's question:-
Speaking of which, what's the difference between a CEng mentor in an accredited development scheme and a PRA? Answer:- An IET Mentor's role is to guide the potential Professional Registrant in selecting tasks, training and roles which will afford opportunites to gain the required competencies and to ensure that these are documented. A PRA is there to advise applicants of the content of their application - suggesting edits when necessary - and to give applicants some help in identifying shortfalls in competencies or visa versa if the applicant has not had the benefitv of a Mentor. An IET Memntor is usually appointed and suitable for potential applicants starting out on their Professional Development - often via an IET Accredited Graduate Traing Programme or Scheme. A PRA is usually consulted by "mature applicants who, often, haven't undertaken a Graduate Training Programme/Scheme

-------------------------
Andy
EurIng Andrew Houston CEng FIET
PRA, PRI and Volunteer Career Manager Advisor
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.