Increase font size
Topic Title: Advice welcomed
Topic Summary:
Created On: 24 January 2010 03:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 January 2010 03:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

raflad1982

Hello all, this is my first post and I'm after a bit of advice so bear with me.

My current situation:

Currently working for a major Railway Infrastructure company in the SHEQ department. Very shortly I will be registering on the companies IET accredited PD scheme.
I've been a TMIET since 2005 and EngTech since 2009 (applications take ages to go through!). I've been working in engineering at technician level since 2003. I hold a full advanced modern apprenticeship and a LCGI in Engineering. I'm currently studying with the Open University towards a Bachelors degree

I intended to progress towards IEng as my next goal.

My question is, what are members thoughts as to what degree I should go for with the OU? I've been working towards a BEng, but there is also a BSc Hons in Technology and a BSc Hons on the Open Programme. Would it matter whether or not the degree was in a named subject? (i.e. engineering/technology) or is the content of the qualification more important? (eg what modules I've actually undertaken)

Am I right in thinking the company PD scheme will be just as important (if not more so) than my degree as I work towards IEng?

I intend to go onto Masters level study after I completed my undergraduate studies, in anyones experience is your first degree irrelevant once you gain a Masters?

Sorry for the confusing questions and rambling - theres just so many options available I'm feeling a little overwhelmed!

Advice would be most appreciated.

-------------------------
Richard Middleton BSc (Open) EngTech TMIET LCGI
 24 January 2010 06:07 PM

westonpa

Continue with the OU BEng and then when you have it speak with the IET about IEng registration. At that point you may achieve IEng before going onto masters.....and if not they will be able to point you in the right direction on which type of masters to do. Also continue with the PD scheme because it will work in your favour.

Regards.

PS: There are many other options but I am thinking if we explain them all here you will then continue to be overwhelmed.
 24 January 2010 06:14 PM

raflad1982

Thanks for the reply.

This was my original intent, but after speaking with a PRA, he advised I might already be eligible for IEng...so this is where indecision has crept in! Plus, my discussion with the PD scheme administrator this week has muddied the waters somewhat because she didn't see my BEng as a prerequisite for obtaining IEng. In fact, she said the an Ordinary Degree was perfectly acceptable.

I'd speak to the IET but they are as much use as t1ts on a fish - the only e-mail I got told me I'd have to submit my transcript after graduating - very helpful!!

Richard Middleton BSc (Open) EngTech TMIET LCGI
 24 January 2010 08:36 PM

westonpa

Technically you do not require any qualifications to achieve IEng and/or CEng if you have sufficient experience at a level and of an amount which is equivalent to the appropriate degree and masters degree. Basically the degrees just suffice as part of the relevant competency requirements.

If you ONLY want IEng and and not the degree then apply for IEng and see how you get on.

If you want to study for a degree anyway then go for the BEng unless you have some real passion for one of the others you mentioned.

Regards.
 25 January 2010 01:40 PM

mbirdi

We must keep in mind that qualification and experience for registration has generally risen. The IET and EC recognise that if a candidate has the required academic qualification then sufficient minimum experience is all that is necessary to achieve CEng and IEng.

However, for those candidates without sufficient academic qualification the requirement to show graduate level, particularly to MEng, is very difficult indeed.

To put it into context, why would someone with an MEng need to demonstrate the same level of competence as someone without an MEng? In other words, an MEng only needs to work as a junior engineer to gain CEng whereas a non-MEng probably needs to be CEO of the company to secure CEng.
 25 January 2010 01:54 PM

DavidParr

It is unlikely that a MEng working as a junior engineer would achieve CEng. I suggest you look at the competences in UK Spec.

Your non-MEng needing to be a CEO is similarly wrong (but in the opposite direction).

But I think you know this really!

Best Regards,

David Parr BSc.CEng MIET
PRA
 25 January 2010 02:22 PM

roybowdler

I'm sorry to hear of what appears to have been an unhelpful response from the IET in the past. I have asked Richard to contact me privately for advice

Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 01 May 2010 02:32 PM

wilsodel

Hi
I've not been on these forums before but recently I went to a Proffessional Registration Advisor for advice on submitting for EngTech registration.
He advised me on a few things - like "bragging a bit more" about my skills set - not hiding it.
Also, he advised going for IEng eventually - even though I don't have degrees etc.

In the Engineering Council UK standard for engineering competence outline it doesn't say anything about needing degrees etc for IEng.

I know it can be a bit confusing - especially if you are with another organisation registered with the EC.

Daryl Wilson TMIET
 04 May 2010 04:13 PM

roybowdler

In the Engineering Council UK standard for engineering competence outline it doesn't say anything about needing degrees etc for IEng.

UK-SPEC describes exemplifying qualifications for each type of registration. For IEng the first exemplar is a Bachelors Degree with a variety of other options given. It is quite possible to obtain IEng without a degree but you must demonstrate that the same level of knowledge is being applied to your work. It is reasonable for technical work experience to provide evidence of "further learning" in many cases.
In particular experienced Engineers with HNCs obtained some time ago are usually in a strong position.

For anyone looking to progress from Eng Tech to IEng without a formal qualification at IEng level, capturing and recording learning experiences at work is important. Demonstrating IEng level technical decision making is essential before applying.

Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.