Increase font size
Topic Title: Ceng without Masters
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01 November 2009 07:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01 November 2009 07:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

simongallagher

Hi,

I'd like some advice on wheather I need a Masters to get my profesional registration.

I've just started my carear in Power after a Beng (IET accredited) and am currently on an IET accredited 2 year graduate scheme. I also have a HND, but I doubt that has any impact

Everyone I ask about this gives me a different answer. Some say that if I can get some technical projects at work then I don't need the masters.

My employer would possibly pay for the Masters, but would (understandably) expect me to sign a contract to stay for a set amount of years.

Any advice would ne greatly appriciated!
 01 November 2009 07:31 PM

westonpa

I suggest you send your CV to the email address on http://www.theiet.org/careers/profreg/index.cfm. You could add a covering note to say you are considering doing a MSc should it be required and see what advice you get back.

Regards.
 01 November 2009 07:44 PM

simongallagher

Thank you, I think I will do just that.
 02 November 2009 11:09 AM

roybowdler

Good advice from westonpa

Without the masters you are on an "individual" rather than "standard" route, so the answer depends on you circumstances.

This "further learning question" is one of the most common so I will attempt to explain the IET position in general terms

An accredited MSc together with an accredited BEng and Professional Training Scheme gives an exemplifying record under UK-SPEC regulations and the best chance of achieving CEng at the earliest possible time.

However CEng registration requires demonstration of professional competence in a suitable role. Academic qualifications and training provide underpinning knowledge and preparation, not competence proven in practice.

Where an employer is investing in a person's development then it is quite reasonable for the employer to seek a fair return on the investment. Therefore when giving individual advice, I would always want to understand and respect the employers plans.

Exposure to technically challenging work can develop a higher level of knowledge which can be judged at the time of application. However the rigorous assessment process and certification of a reputable academic institution, provides the clearest evidence. Without the academic involvement gathering evidence in the workplace can prove problematical.

Chartered Engineer registration requires the application of masters level engineering knowledge. Exemplifying qualifications provide the most convenient evidence of such knowledge, but are not the only way to learn, or the only form of evidence.

Advice will differ because there is no single "right path" and the destination is not a precise point but "within a set of boundaries".

The best solution and any given point in time will depend on achieving the best balance between individual and employer circumstances. An IET member can expect independent professional advice, but we also have a strong obligation of support to progressive employers and academic institutions.

-------------------------
Roy Bowdler IEng FIET FCIPD
IET Registration & Standards
 07 January 2010 02:44 PM

DanATC

I was about to start a thread with exactly this title! However I am in a slightly different situation. I completed a BSc (Hons) Computer Science in 2003. Since then, I have been employed for almost seven years with a single company where I believe I have developed the skills required to achieve CEng accreditation. However, I am not entirely sure how the fact that I do not have a Masters degree will effect this.

I recently attended the Solent network accreditation workshop in Southampton where I spoke to a PRA, unfortunately he wasn't entirely sure what my options were here. I left my contact details and he endeavoured to get back to me but I've not heard anything so assume it's slipped between the cracks.

I was wondering if anyone here could advise on how best to proceed? I have used Career Manager and provided evidence against all the competencies, I discussed these with the PRA and he agreed that they looked at the right level to obtain CEng. The only question is around the lack of the Masters. Can I go ahead and apply using my work experience as knowledge commensurate to an MSc, or are there extra steps I need to take?

I'd be very grateful for any help.

Best regards,
Dan
 07 January 2010 03:07 PM

westonpa

Use the contacts below and explain your details and let them advise you. Regards.

Registration and Standards

Tel: +44 (0) 1438 765 673
Tel: +44 (0) 1438 765 682
Email: profreg@theiet.org
 06 February 2010 10:10 PM

simongallagher

Thanks for all your replies.

I have been thinking about this and investigating the various options available.

I'm aware that in order to achieve Ceng status, the most important Question is 'Am I operating at Ceng level', but I am a recent graduate and am trying to plan for the future, when I am operating at that level that I have the necessary educational under pinnings.

I have been looking very closely at the Msc in Electrical Power Systems from Bath, which my company is willing to pay for (distance learning). This looks like an interesting course, and presumably would meet the educational requirements for Ceng.

Recently though I have been looking at the Msc in Engineering Management from Brunell. It mentions in passing on the site that it is accredited by the IET, would this Msc be suitable for Ceng? I'm worried that it would not be a technical enough course for the Ceng requirements.

I feel this would suit me more as I plan to go down the engineering managerial role as opposed to the technical role.

Thanks again for your replies.
 07 February 2010 10:27 AM

westonpa

Originally posted by: simongallagher

I have been looking very closely at the Msc in Electrical Power Systems from Bath, which my company is willing to pay for (distance learning). This looks like an interesting course, and presumably would meet the educational requirements for Ceng.

Recently though I have been looking at the Msc in Engineering Management from Brunell. It mentions in passing on the site that it is accredited by the IET, would this Msc be suitable for Ceng? I'm worried that it would not be a technical enough course for the Ceng requirements.

I feel this would suit me more as I plan to go down the engineering managerial role as opposed to the technical role.

Thanks again for your replies.

Simon,

I think you need to decide what career you want and then study/work for that. A good career and related education WILL gain you CEng at one institution or another whereas simply choosing courses in order to gain CEng may waste your abilities and/or enjoyment of your career.

Regards.
 07 February 2010 01:56 PM

simongallagher

Westonpa,

I am very happy in the Career that I have chosen and am working towards my goals. I am simply trying to find a suitable Masters to help me with the 'study' part of the equation you mention.

Regards,

Simon
 07 February 2010 03:41 PM

westonpa

Simon,

Suggest you check your proposed course choices against the IET UK accredited programmes if you want CEng via the IET or against the programmes of other institutions if you want theirs.

IET at http://www.theiet.org/careers/accreditation/index.cfm

or

http://www.theiet.org/careers/...tedprogs.cfm?type=pdf

I note the MSc E.M. (Brunel) is there in FT and PT options but the MSc E.P.S. (Bath) is only there in FT options......however I would 'think' the PT option would equally be acceptable.

Regards.
 15 March 2010 05:45 PM

sincy

I have been reading this with much intrest as i do not have a Masters, or have a BEng or BSc.

I have been invited to submit a technical report to prove my 22 years in engineer give me the experience.

But i have been looking at the MSc in Proffessional Engineering throuigh the work based learning program. it really is a very useful degree in enabling you to get an accredited Masters covering all aspects of the UK Spec. the dergee has been put together with Engineering Gateways and the EC, along with a number of Higher Education establishments.

www.engineeringgateways.co.uk

Have a look at the engineering gateway site, or better still go to Kingston Uni as they are one of the HE's who offer the course.

The course actually works around the tasks you perform in your everyday working life and gives you new goals to reach for.

If i am unsuccessful in my Technical Report this is the way I am going to go.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.