Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: CEng from other institution
Topic Summary: Needed to transfer to IET?
Created On: 12 August 2009 03:19 AM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 August 2009 03:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 1
Joined: 20 July 2009

Hi All,

I just join IET as MIET. In 2007 I have gained my CEng from other institution - SOE, should I need to register in IET again?
 14 August 2009 12:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 154
Joined: 18 January 2003

Your CEng is a title conferred by the Engineering Council UK (ECUK). The ECUK grants licenses to institutions like the IET and the SOE to assess and award professional engineering titles on their behalf.

So, a CEng granted by and gained through the SOE will automatically be recognised by the IET. But I guess it might be helpful if you told the IET that you're a CEng.


Dr S Sivathasan, DPhil CEng
PRI IPRA (Queensland)
 04 September 2009 12:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 519
Joined: 08 June 2003

There is a page on the IMechE site where an existing registrant can join with as little as two sponsors and a c.v.

I'm headed in that direction.

IMechE Exisiting Registrants Membership
 24 March 2010 03:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 1
Joined: 24 March 2010

I have got certificate of CEng from SOE. Can I also get CEng certificate from IET/IMechE by RRA after I join IET/IMechE?
 03 April 2010 08:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 343
Joined: 07 May 2002

If you are CEng MSOE or CEng FSOE, you can only get membership of MIET or MIMechE by RRA (of course with some application requirements).

But, not a CEng certificate of (CEng MIET or CEng MIMechE).

You will need to go through the professional review/ interview by IET or IMechE to get the CEng certificate of (CEng MIET or CEng MIMechE).
 07 April 2010 04:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 14
Joined: 16 April 2006


I can answer this question because I have spoken with the SOE on this years back. But in my case I was considering the possibility of transfering ECUK registration from the IET to SOE at the time but didn't go through with it. You can transfer CEng from the SOE to the IET but then you can only get one certificate this time from the IET. You must also qualify for an IET membership Grade at CEng level at least MIET. An advantage of transfering to the IET is that the IET membership certificate will have the CEng title mentioned on the Membership certificate so you have that in addition to the ECUK certificate having the Title. The SOE member Certificate only says you are Member without any reference to ECUK registration. I have this helps?

with regards
 07 April 2010 05:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 22
Joined: 27 August 2003

You can be a member of more than one institution but you can only be professionally registered through one. You are allowed to change the institution that you are professionally registered with at any point. If you wish to change your professional registration to the IET all you have to do is send in a letter explaining what you want to do with an up to date CV verified by a supporter, if the verified CV is scanned you can e-mail it to, or send the hard copy to Sheenagh Barron, The IET, Registration and Standards Department, Michael Faraday House, Six Hills Way, Stevenage, SG1 2AY. Your CV will be assessed, as you are already registered and will have had an interview you may not need one (but as always, the IET reserves the right to request an interview). You must also be fully paid up, not lapsed or in suspense with the Engineering Council, the IET may be able to pick up 2010 EC fees if just in arrears this year. I hope this helps and we look forward to recieving your CV.

Jane Black
Registration Coordination Manager (International)
The Institution of Engineering and Technology

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2016 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.