Topic Title: CEng in Canada
Topic Summary: Registering as a PEng
Created On: 07 November 2007 07:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 May 2013 04:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

garethwood

MosheW, the question of CEng equivalence is not what I was trying to demonstrate here. The question was international recognition and mobility. The IntPE and Washington accord are often bantered around to lead us to believe that the CEng is fully recognised. I was trying to point out that although committees have established some educational recognition within the Washington accord, we are in fact a long way off real international mobility for Engineers. Rather than we sit on all our laurels the Engineering Council and IET have to do much more work here to truly have a global presence and recognition.
 29 May 2013 02:28 PM

Rubaiswd

Hi,
My name is Rubby. i have just finished a Beng. (Hons) programme at the university. I am looking to go for an accredited professional development scheme programme because i want to pursue a Ceng career. I just want to make sure i am making the right decision, because i was previously wanting to do a Meng degree, but i was also thinking the Ceng is a better idea. I also want to find out how long it takes. Pls reply.
Thanks.
 29 May 2013 03:31 PM

Zuiko

Have you read UKSpec?

MEng is an academic qualification; CEng is the title given to a suitably qualified engineer that is registered with the engineering council.

The minimum qualifaction to prove underpinning knowledge and to apply for CEng is MEng or proof of learning to MEng level.

It takes another year to do an integrated MEng on top of your BEng; but can take several years to gain the experience required for CEng registration. For guidance of what experience is required read UKSpec.
 29 May 2013 10:40 PM

garethwood

Rubby, the topic is CEng in Canada. Which university are you in?
 30 May 2013 06:02 PM

MosheW

Originally posted by: garethwood

MosheW, the question of CEng equivalence is not what I was trying to demonstrate here. The question was international recognition and mobility. The IntPE and Washington accord are often bantered around to lead us to believe that the CEng is fully recognised. I was trying to point out that although committees have established some educational recognition within the Washington accord, we are in fact a long way off real international mobility for Engineers. Rather than we sit on all our laurels the Engineering Council and IET have to do much more work here to truly have a global presence and recognition.

I always knew that the accords are only for recognition of Academic degrees of the Engineers.

Usually the approved/accredited degree is just one important step toward PEng in CA or PE in USA, the same I can say for CEng etc.

Other requirements still need to be fulfilled.

At least the signeed countries on the Washington Accord recognize the Degrees as long as the degree is accredited by the Body that signed the accord.

If the degree is not accepted under the accord then additional procedures required, it prolongs the time to register.

I agree that some times people are lead to believe that the accord is automatic recognition to practice in other countries and that is far from truth.

The Accords do shorten the time and allow the properly educated Engineers a faster way to recognition in other countries removing usally the Education barrier, that leaved to fulfill the experience and Examinations with PEng supervision for a year etc in Canada.

In USA passing the Examination usually two exams FE and PE.
Some states may wave the FE Exam if one is PEng or CEng etc.
 24 November 2013 06:55 AM

noumanabid

Hi Dear

I am sorry, I do not agree fully that:

"A general misconception is that all CEng 's are equal. But its not so. As I mentioned in other treads.
MEng CEng, or Ph.D CEng, or BEng CEng, are all CEng but all on different level.
Not to mention the non degree rout to CEng."

ECUK has set a minimum eligibility criteria for CEng through various routes under UKSpec. Once CEng is awarded, then it means that holder of CEng is quite competent. If any other professional body still not recognizes the CEng, it means that they are challenging the UKSpec and ECUK Assessment.

ECUK should think seriously on this issue and provide backup and support to its registrants i.e. CEng, IEng and EngTech etc.

-------------------------
Nouman Abid Chuhan
HND Engg (UK) B.Tech Hons (Pak) MIET (UK)
+923334451158
 02 January 2014 05:08 AM

lmorley

I am a member of the British Computer Society and based on Ottawa, Ontario. We have tried for years to get C.Eng to P.Eng Recognition agreement but it seem the bottleneck is not Engineers Canada but the UK Engineering Council to at least have some direct discussion on how to get it done. Engineers Canada does have agreement with Ireland and Australia which is pretty similar to those of the UK.. Not sure what is the real issue here..
 02 January 2014 05:10 AM

lmorley

I am a member of the British Computer Society and based on Ottawa, Ontario. We have tried for years to get C.Eng to P.Eng Recognition agreement but it seem the bottleneck is not Engineers Canada but the UK Engineering Council to at least have some direct discussion on how to get it done. Engineers Canada does have agreement with Ireland and Australia which is pretty similar to those of the UK.. Not sure what is the real issue here..

Maybe a duplicate..
 02 January 2014 05:13 AM

lmorley

Another view of the discussion is that I do think the C.Eng is far more accepted outside of North America than the P.Eng or P.E. In any case, it may be good to have both types if you plan to work internationally.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.