Increase font size
Topic Title: Design engineer intrusive survey
Topic Summary: Site experience / safety
Created On: 10 January 2017 11:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 January 2017 11:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

leeadams

Would you coincider a design engineer who is almost exclusively office based to be competent at accessing live busbar chambers and general electrical switch gear, removing covers in order to connect test equipment ?

How would I demonstrate my designer is competent ?

I would personally like him to be accompanied by a site experienced electrician. ?

Should an accident occur if alone I believe we would have been negligent in risk assessment ?
 10 January 2017 12:12 PM

rogerbryant

I think that you would need to go one step back in your RA to consider if accessing live busbars is reasonable. If it is you would then need to consider how it can be safely carried out.

Best regards

Roger
 10 January 2017 01:14 PM

leeadams

Thank you Roger, we are in an industry that more than frequently would need access when live. Our organisation is vast with many disciplines/offices and I've recently be made aware of design site activities. Being in construction I'm concerned we aren't safe guarding these activities. Design say engineer's qualify by default but I just want to get an opinion
 10 January 2017 01:29 PM

OMS

Thank you Roger, we are in an industry that more than frequently would need access when live.

Why - does EAWR not apply to you ?

Basically, if it's unreasonable in all respects to be dead then your mitigation would be the use of appropriate protective equipment and the use of competent persons

It's been a while since I've taken the lid off a busbar chamber (I work in design now) but I'd like to think I was competent to do so (as it's part of my initial formation and training) - I know a few craft types that however I would agree that they are competent to do so

My point is that you cannot judge for specific cases by a rule that says - sparky good, desk monkey bad in terms of removing covers and connecting test equipment - it needs individual competence in that environment as part of the specific risk assessment

What test equipment are you connecting, incidentally ?

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.