Increase font size
Topic Title: JOB CREATION
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06 October 2016 10:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06 October 2016 10:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

acsinuk

To create worthwhile jobs [not penpushers] we need to increase production of things or services we or our neighbours want.
If we can engineer higher efficiency then we can reduce the working week to 3 days then everyone will have a job
 06 October 2016 01:15 PM

ectophile

Productivity in industry has been on a rising trend for years. But we still don't have 3, or even 4, day weeks.

Instead, workers will still be expected to work 5 day weeks and just produce more stuff. If that leads to too much stuff being made, the employers will just lay off excess staff, so that the remaining ones still work 5 day weeks.

The simple problem is that nobody will pay you 5 days' wages to work a 3 day week. They would rather lay off 2/5 of their staff, save 2/5 of the wage bill, and keep the rest working full time.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
 06 October 2016 10:25 PM

acsinuk

Yes, that is how it is at present and it leaves 2 out of 5 people out of work and on the dole. Out of work people feel rejected and powerless in their pursuit of happiness and dignity. It also means that taxes or inflation will be high as social benefits will be needed to sustain them and their families with no spare cash to buy the available over capacity production.
Maybe production and trades should follow the supermarkets and work 2 shift days to increase employment ratio and give our kids a chance to get a job?
 06 October 2016 11:45 PM

ectophile

All you have to do is find enough workers willing to take a 40% pay cut in order to give other people more work. Good luck with that.

S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
 12 October 2016 03:48 PM

acsinuk

But just think of the benefits if all the factories, shops, doctors surgeries, delivery company drivers etc work shift 6,15 to 2.15 OR 2pm to 9pm.
The rush hour would disappear as about a third of population is on early shift and then administrators/secretaries work 10 am till 5pm [ or 6pm if they want a lunchbreak] . This leaves the schools and housewives at 9am and collect at 4pm alone on the roads.
It would certainly suit the railways and buses too, who have a fairly even load throughout the day and allows us to give assisted transport to pensioners from 11am till 1pm and in afternoon from 3 till 5pm with the school kids, and again in evening from 7 till 9pm
 16 October 2016 05:50 PM

ToniSM

I spent a good few years streamlining production systems. Everyone was still on a 5 day week but there was 15% less personnel.

Could there be a better way?

In theory yes, but in practice?
 17 October 2016 12:20 PM

acsinuk

Yes, so we are more efficient as time progresses and this means we can reduce the number of hours workers work.
So what about fairer 7 hour shifts of 7am to 2pm and second shift 1.30pm to 8.30pm. Admin and secretaries 10am till 5pm.
I suppose the important point is that by avoiding rush hours our lives become much less hectic and shifts for shops+services, drivers/deliveries and manufacturing means we all can have spare time in the off shift time for shopping etc while at at the same time relieving the unemployment problem.
 17 October 2016 03:22 PM

diviner

Originally posted by: acsinuk
So what about fairer 7 hour shifts of 7am to 2pm and second shift 1.30pm to 8.30pm.

The problem with that is that some people live quite some distance from where they work.

I spent three years on an assignment that meant dividing my time equally between my employers' offices a half hour drive from home and a client's offices an hour and three quarters away. Under your plan I would have sometimes had to leave the house at 5:15am and sometimes would not have got home until 10:15pm. (In fact during the eight years before that assignment I was on another one where I again had a one and three quarter hour commute, and I did sometimes finish at 8:30pm and therefore get home around 10:15pm. It was not pleasant, but it was bearable because I knew that most of the time I would be both leaving home and getting back at a vaguely civilised hour.)

Ian Gordon, FSS MIET CITP MBCS CMat MIMA MIAP
 18 October 2016 04:41 PM

acsinuk

Yes. shift work can be difficult if you live far away. But we have just had a referendum which resulted in a protest vote from our peoples saying in effect "we want jobs". The brexit vote was just about jobs not wishing to leave Europe although some edicts are OTT.
Manufacturing, driver/deliveries, opening shops and services for longer will create more jobs if we work shift.
Lets face it we are going to pay social security to bored disillusioned people anyway; why not let then work, feel good and gain dignity.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.