Increase font size
Topic Title: Apprenticeships and no experienced local engineers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 June 2016 12:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 June 2016 12:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

acsinuk

Why is it British companies can never find experienced young local engineers?
Because Brits are highly qualified even to PHD's but they have never worked or served an apprenticeship. Practically useless!
If we want to compete and lead in Europe then we should hands on train our engineers before they qualify.
Major companies in UK should claim tax relief on all apprenticeships and arrange university places for the brightest; free to their student employees provided they stay for at least a year after graduating.
 20 June 2016 01:27 PM

ectophile

You seem to be expecting companies to actually spend substantial amounts of money training young people - first by putting them through apprenticeships, them paying for university.

Whingeing about the shortage of skilled staff is much cheaper, and so more profitable in the short term (which is all company directors care about). It also implies that somebody else should be doing something about it.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
 25 June 2016 03:51 PM

BrianTH

Because basically, we are a nation of snobs that look down on people who work with their hands. Thatcher got rid of the Engineering Industry Training Board in the 1980s and companies prefer to employ people trained in other countries who will work for lower rates.

I've been in engineering for 40 years - employers have been complaining about a skills shortage during all that time. We should value the intelligence of hands on engineering - the engineering of Edison.
 08 July 2016 02:22 PM

spenney

I have been seeing articles on Facebook about the changing face of mathematics education, and jokes about the way mathematics exams no longer have right or wrong answers, but even when I was at school (nearly as long ago as Brian) mathematics education in the UK was rubbish. There were two main problems in the maths teaching when I was at school and I gather that nothing has really changed in the last 40 years.

The first was that rather than tackling the basics first and building on it, esoteric concepts were introduced early on resulting in glazed expressions from most of the girls and many of the boys. The second was the lack of enthusiasm of the teachers, which conveyed the impression that maths was difficult and no fun.

What is really needed is someone like 'Charlie Epps' from 'Numbers' to convey the reality of how mathematics impacts our lives and even simple analysis on large data sets can reveal amazing things about the world around us.

-------------------------
Steve Penney
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.