IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AV receiver in home theatre
Topic Summary: Space requirements for ventilation.
Created On: 23 July 2015 01:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 23 July 2015 01:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

pww235

Afternoon all.

Purchased my first AV receiver at the start of summer and it has been working perfectly sitting atop a small chest of drawers with free air all around.

I'm moving soon and in the new place, I would ideally like to install an 'entertainment centre' style piece of furniture to house my kit and have some handy shelving to each side.
Imagine an H with the bottom legs cut off - two upstands would be general shelving and DVD player on one of the shelves, TV sat on wide shelf between the two upstands, and my AV receiver in the space below the TV.

The AV manufacturer's recommendations for clearances are 20cm on each side and at the back, and a whopping 40cm above! This would mean the compartment for the receiver being (W) 83.5cm (H) 56.8cm and (D) 53.2cm.......seems a tad excessive, on a low slung couch I'd be looking up to the TV.

Any thoughts on what a more reasonable minimum clearance level I could use would be?

Unit would be open front and back.
 27 July 2015 02:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

oneye

You haven't stated the type/size of your home theatre system but using my own oversize Teac unit as a guide, I would suggest the clearance dimensions should be in millimetres (mm) not cm's !

The purpose of clearance is to maintain cooling under the most demanding conditions.
You haven't mentioned clearance underside - the Teac has large feet giving around 20mm underside.
The vents are topside so 40mm is ample room for heat dissipation.
20mm at the sides is more useful for ease of access rather than anything else.

Heat loss is around 150w maximum and with a room temperature around 28deg.C and maximum operating temperature of 35deg.C., I can't see the thermal cut-out operating !
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.