IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: E&T magazine - Debate - Will 3D printing bring real benefits to innovators and designers?
Topic Summary: The current phase of rapid evolution in the field of 3D printing will bring real benefits to innovators and designers
Created On: 18 February 2015 10:21 AM
Read the related E&T article
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 February 2015 10:21 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jpwilson

For:
3D printing will bring real benefits to innovators and designers.

Against:
3D printing will not bring real benefits to innovators and designers.

The argument for:
The idea of 3D printing has been around for a while. But what's interesting is that it seems to have reached a new phase of the maturity curve where we are actually starting to do some amazing things with it. And so I am very much for the idea that it has now become a genuinely important innovation tool for the engineer. It's clear to me that there are now a lot of good opportunities for 3D printing. Maybe we can't yet deliver a 3D printed house. But ideas like these - especially in the biomimicry space - are being worked on, so there are exciting times ahead.

The argument against:
That you could be either for or against a category of technology in an abstract sense is, to me at least, slightly absurd. By its inherent nature, technology is passive, neutral and innocuous. That is of course until we decide what purpose we wish to put it to. You can make a nuclear bomb or a malaria vaccine - all technology does is speed up the process. Innovation is not about engineering and technology. It is about thinking, problem solving, working with the laws of the physical world to produce the Great Pyramid at Giza, the Apollo missions, the E-type Jaguar. It's not about 3D printing.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.