Increase font size
Topic Title: An Engineer is different to a Technologist
Topic Summary: What is the difference?
Created On: 28 January 2015 02:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 January 2015 02:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

lspalding

I am interested on peoples opinions on the following statement:

'An Engineer is different to a Technologist'

It seems as though an engineer can be both, depending on his/her role within the industry. Engineer can be a designer and also a maintainer, seems as though a technologist is usually a maintainer who overcomes problems faced applying his/her scientific and engineering knowledge base.
 28 January 2015 03:07 PM

jcm256

Not my words but, as I read, The difference between the technologist and technician, that the former is able to write and talk about his job in abstract, general terms, Science and technology are essentially public activities.
On hindsight the incorporated engineers, should have accepted the Chartered Technologist, when it was offered instead of clinging on to Engineer, anyone in UK who lifts a screwdriver can be called an engineer.
 28 January 2015 05:29 PM

kengreen

I have some sympathy with the above post by jcm but I do not agree. This computer on which I am writing this, and other similar equipments fall into the category of Technology. Inside the carcass there is a maze of electronic components with intricate interconnections of which the understanding, not to mention the necessary design effort, is the province of the Electronic Engineer.

In as much as the engineer originates a design it is clear that he can also cure any subsequent ailments and this puts him one step above on the ladder of professional attainments. But this broad church omits the grades of technician and of IT-technician; both have an important part to play in keeping my computer in operation but the IT-technician may have any degree of electronic learning all the way down to zero. I believe that it was to incorporate all four of these grades that the original "Learned Societies" were amalgamated to form the IET ? The difference between the engineer and the IT-technician is highlighted by the formation of the Engineering Council to whom alone is granted the Queens charter which offers the additional qualification of Chartered Engineer.

Ken Green
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.