Increase font size
Topic Title: Engineering vs other sciences
Topic Summary:
Created On: 27 January 2015 11:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 January 2015 11:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

apsoutis

No boubt that lot of the fields in science have made great strides in this last century . There is so much new material available now that can aid us with the development of our world and the finding of amicable solutions to a lot of our problems .
What I see as a hinderance is the the co-ordination of same , where more people are needed to evaluate the relevance of different findings in completely different fields , e.g. an electral engineer venturing into the medical profession ;
Back to the above example , now that we aware off the brain as being a complex electrical network , the input of the electrical engineer becomes paramount , by considering simple principle like insulation , isolation , conductivity , capacitance etc.. a lot can be offered to the medical world and hence benefit the people.
Like the pictures of part of the Universe being displayed by NASA , the posilities are endless . Imagine the brain accessing its grotwh sensors and sending signals to the body to reform a missing/lost limb . Or a diagnosis simply done by a brain scan by the way it operates , just like the trained ear of a mechanic listening to an ailing engine .
A lot of the times we get lost in the maize of complexity whereas time and time again we find the answer is in simplicity.
For those who are already heading the there . keep on going . This is the age of Aquarius .
 28 January 2015 08:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kengreen

apsoutis,

Please don't consider my post here as being patronising but I feel obliged to congratulate you on achieving a first posting with evidence of intelligent free thinking.

I heartily agree with your call for improved coordination and will extend that into the wish that all members of the scientific committee will take more interest in the overall picture. For example, I remarked recently to my GP that the problem with hospitals is that they are filled with "experts" - those who learn more and more ... ... ... - but who spend so much of their time dealing with the lay public that they have lost the art of listening!

Your choice of the medical profession is most apt in that they are dealing with the problems of a complex and little understood machine without the engineering learning that would so greatly assist in their intentions. For example: on my release from hospital following a Stroke I was offered advice as to the best way of getting back onto my feet. I'm convinced that, had I followed that advice, I might well be still in a wheelchair; instead I used my engineering understanding of control systems (servo or feedback systems) and treated this body as an engine - about one week later I walked unaided and without that troublesome stick or its devilish accomplice the walking-frame some 20 to 30 yards across the lawn (a soft landing!)

I am convinced that the greatest asset to any in a professional career is the willingness to read over as wide a range as possible and to assimilate disciplines not considered normally to be "their business".

Ken Green
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.