IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: E&T magazine - Debate - Video games for the Olympics?
Topic Summary: Video games should become an official Olympic sport
Created On: 20 January 2015 10:31 AM
Read the related E&T article
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 January 2015 10:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jpwilson

For:
Video games should become an official Olympic sport.

Against:
Video games should not become an official Olympic sport.

The argument for:
Successive generations have been raised on video games as a way to do two things. First is simply the pursuit of the adrenaline rush, while the second is a vehicle to outsmart competition. Both criteria are central to the notion of sport. Now that we have stadiums filled with thousands of people watching video sport, there is no difference between the fan appeal for a virtual boxing match and a real one.

The idea of vast numbers of fans following their idol and being loyal to the person, following the statistics and creating superstars is exactly the same as baseball, boxing or any other sporting activity that exists in the physical world. The production of adrenaline is the same as in any other sport. If we can compare the brain to a muscle that is being used, stretched and challenged to create the desirable outcomes of victory and superiority in a competitive challenge, then e-sports seem to me to fall into the category of a legitimate sport, so I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be included in the Olympics.

The argument against:
The idea that video sports, so-called 'e-sports', could be integrated into the world of sport in the physical domain such as the Olympics, seems on the face of it to be barmy, to say the least. Of course, I can see that there is an argument for the inclusion of spectator-style stadium e-sports in more traditional sporting events, but I don't think it should happen.

The Olympics will always be about physical virtuosity in a competitive environment. If we start to see gold medals around the necks of Warcraft champions, this does not necessarily devalue the currency of the medal system, but it changes the parameters. The answer should be No to video games in the Olympics.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.