IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Completed HNC Electrical Technology, where from here?
Topic Summary: Electrical Engineering
Created On: 25 June 2014 12:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 June 2014 12:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Curnow93

OK, I have just completed my HNC in Electrical Technology, it is basically Electrical Engineering except they used the word "Technology" at the end, it would of been better if they used the word Engineering...

I have been searching around for a job as an electrician, electrical technician and electrical engineer for a while now. I've been at college for years and I'm still not getting anything from it, 4 years since I started colleged and haven't found anything.

I want to get some work in order to get good at electrical engineering but I have a few problems 1. I can't find the work. 2. If I find the work, it may not be relevant to the job that I ideally want. 3. I'm not %100 sure which field to go into in electrical engineering, I like the idea of it all and in theory it sounds quite interesting but on the job I'm not sure what it is actually like, the job doesn't turn out exactly how you think so you can't be sure what you would enjoy until you are experienced in the industry.

I've been searching around for something related to HNC Electrical Technology, although the name isn't exactly what employers will want, It is the only option really available to me, everything else will put me in debt and will be too far away, some courses are around £9,000 a year, it doesn't make it worth it coming out of university in that much debt...

Well, I would like to find something relevant to what I've been learning but whenever I send a letter to employers, I always get a negative response, they are never recruiting. It seems as if I'm kidding myself to think that I'm going to find a job in this industry, people say be positive but I think I'm just kidding myself carrying on with this. You can be positive but if that means that you are kidding yourself, you might as well move on to something else...

I would like to complete an honours degree in electrical engineering but am not sure how it will work out, I'm not sure if I'm going to be funded for the next years that I go to university if I can even get into it.

I don't want the debt, I want to find ways to work around this because if I come out university with a huge debt, i'm screwed! The UK isn't the best place for any professional jobs at the moment, I go to the recruitment agencies and they always say there is next to nothing in this industry but there are many sales and cooking jobs.

I'm in a huge catch 22, everything seems like this. I want to be able to drive away from where I live and expand my job search in the UK but am stuck without a car, if I buy a car that puts me down a few grand especially with the price of insurance now. If I go to university that means potentially a better job but I end up in debt. And in order for people to employ me, I need experience in the industry which I've been trying to get. If they're not going to employ me then I can't get any experience, it's a huge catch 22.

I would like to move out the country but that also depends on the qualifications the employers want me to have, if I can't get the employment then I'm in trouble, I'll move out there and be stuck...

The adults do not understand the struggles youngsters have today, I'm just trying to get somewhere in life but can't. Everything is a huge catch 22. I want to find go alternative route to other people, the ones who go to university end up in debt and have bad lifes, that's not the life I want to live.

So I thought maybe I should move out of the country to find a job from my HNC or to keep applying, it seems as if I'm kidding myself though. At least if I find a job now, I avoid a huge debt that probably won't even pay off.
 25 June 2014 01:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

vquinn

Hi, you do have options. but you may have to look at your ideals and lower them a little now for a benefit later.

Might not be what you want to hear, but maybe you should take an electrician's job even if it isn't your "ideal" role. This will at least get you working and you can start on the master plan.

I do understand what you say about the university route, having done that myself. Looking back, if I had the chance I would have worked first. Of course the problem is that the work is not always available, and sometimes you have to take work where you can find it.

If you are determined to travel. have you looked at electrical jobs in industries where travel is a possibility? e.g. Oil and Gas, telecomms, etc, again the problem is that it is not always easy to break into these areas without SOME prior experience

Also I would recommend you register with the IET for a mentor - they can help you to plan the way forward, eg. start working towards Eng Tech and/or IEng and then eventually up to CEng if this is your aim. Also there is a careers advice team you can contact who may be able to help.

I'm afraid there are no shortcuts and you will not get your ideal job immediately. Personally I took one of the first jobs I was offered out of uni and managed through a series of later moves to end up in a good situation, but i had to work my way through it and have a long term plan in mind.

Good luck - I hope you work something out.

-------------------------
Eur Ing Vikki Quinn MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.