Topic Title: The iPad as the Interface
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 June 2014 10:04 AM
Related E&T article: Review: National Instruments NI VirtualBench
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 June 2014 10:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kvoosen

It's fair to say that today most design engineers troubleshoot with boxed instruments. Do you foresee a day when your personal tablet and specific apps will replace the screens, buttons & knobs on these instruments?
 18 June 2014 11:45 AM

oneye

Yes & No ...

Yes the computer orientated tool is very useful and handy. I'm not sure the Ipad is the best interface -
several of my passwords can't be used on mine because of the restricted keyboard.

And No - there are times when a voltage or current needs measuring. We also have applications where
an analogue signal generator (sine wave) is needed at low frequencies and in the mv range.
 11 March 2016 12:35 AM

JoeFriedchicken

I've seen several other boxed instruments that have touch screens now, but in my opinion, no one can make a better touchscreen or user interaction handler than Apple. While I've seen the WiFi connectivity occasionally introduce hiccups or stutter (as any live data application would have), the interactions and responsiveness otherwise are head-and-shoulders above the embedded touchscreens found in instruments today. So while the industry recognizes that the future includes touch screens, they can't deliver the quality. VirtualBench seems to address the limitations in this area by pushing the interface to more easily upgradable platforms. The free firmware updates for the hardware keep adding features and performance improvements, so all you need to do is keep your host up to date.

Hardware-wise, the next generation has been released. The VB-8034 adds two more scope channels and more current in the power supply (plus the standard banana jacks everyone expects). Learn more here: Link Removed or ask questions here: Link Removed .
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2016 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.