Topic Title: Socket covers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 April 2014 08:12 AM
Related E&T article: Your letters
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 April 2014 08:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MartinR

Further to Peter Munro's letter on socket covers, I would like to offer the following.

For those who do PIRs, what do you do when faced with sockets with these covers fitted? I take the view that these sockets are a 'fail' as they have been modified.

This is particularly troublesome in premises where OFSTED insist that these devices are used.

Peter also mentions the possibility of the earth terminal being damaged. How many of us carry out earth bonding tests to ALL sockets? Most of us do batch testing, certainly not testing both outlets on a twin socket.

I you look at the fatally flawed site, you will see a photo that I posted of an extension lead in use in a care home, the socket cover being inserted upside down, leaving the shutters open.

This extension lead was mounted on the wall at head height when the bed was occupied, the socket cover introducing danger, rather than reducing the danger.

Martin
 18 April 2014 02:36 PM

Avatar for Deuchar                                           .
Deuchar

A summation of the many issues with socket covers is contained in my recent written evidence to the parliamentary committee reviewing the new Consumer Rights Bill, you can see the actual submission here. This also includes other plug related dangers which concern the FatallyFlawed sister campaign, PlugSafe, and the need for prevention of the sale of illegal electrical goods through sites such as Amazon and eBay.

David Peacock
 19 April 2014 06:48 AM

MartinR

Dodgy as in the multitude of single insulated 240V lights that appear at Christmas.

We have two metal framed snowmen around which, is wrapped single insulated cable which, at the plug and until the first bulb carries 240V.

How would other members of this forum approach these when carrying out PAT?

Is there an exemption of which I am not aware at Christmas? :-)
 23 April 2014 10:17 AM

Grizzly0101

Quite a few of the 'apparently' single insulated lights of that type are in fact Class II, with less-than-obvious double insulated wires.
However, they should have an information label (usually wrap-around) showing the Class II construction mark.
If they don't have the mark present, for whatever reason, I would say that is an immediate fail.

However, I would think that any half decent risk assessment would preclude the use of those type of lights, and instead recommend the type that are powered with ELV, from a separate PSU.
 23 April 2014 11:42 AM

AndyTaylor

OK, I'll bite;

Originally posted by: MartinR

Is there an exemption of which I am not aware at Christmas? :-)

It's the Santa Clause.

-------------------------
Andy Taylor CEng MIET
 23 April 2014 08:05 PM

Grizzly0101

Huzzah!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.