Increase font size
Topic Title: Forum Migration?????
Topic Summary:
Created On: 14 April 2014 12:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 April 2014 12:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jcm256

IET could you put the forums you shifted to communities back on live again, have the two running in parallel, if someone posts via the communities it could show up here and vice versa. Hardily anyone is using communities for posting or replies and is difficult to navigate. So come on give some value for IET fees, the glossy magazine well not that interesting so very little left except the excellent Wiring and regulations forum.
 16 April 2014 07:22 AM

AndyTaylor

I don't think it's working well at all, I made the point to the Admin, and I still can't work out what the big gain is for anyone. Posts in the new forums are very sparse and I see no sign of that picking up. I was also told that the 'Wiring and the regulations' forum is to stay where it is, but no explanation as to why was given.

I only noticed this forum today because it contained new posts (new posts in the community forum are hard to spot, when there are any). This forum where this thread resides seems to be a spammers forum?

I must say I am very disappointed with the way this has all been done, with little or no discussion with forum members that I am aware of, and the changeover didn't seem to go well at all.

-------------------------
Andy Taylor CEng MIET
 17 April 2014 10:29 PM

jarathoon

This might be one of the reasons for the lack of activity...

See my latest post on the "Migrating Forums to MyCommunity" community discussion...

http://mycommunity.theiet.org/...?post_id=81425#p81425

This does not effect me as I am not posting anonymously, however it seems to be affecting other users...

In the process of forum migration certain users (including jcm256, Zuiko) have lost the anonymity that they maintained on the previous discussion forums. Other people have kept their anonymity. Some people appear to have kept their anonymity but when you click on their alias their real name is revealed.

What are the change over rules on this? Does it depend on whether you have previously joined one of the communities?

What are the rules for those who want to log into the community system and maintain anonymity?

James Arathoon
 17 April 2014 11:10 PM

ectophile

It looks like if you're an IET member, and your login has been linked to your membership, then it picks up the name from your membership records. There's nothing you can do to change that.

For the time being, I've removed all useful information from my profile.

S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.