Increase font size
Topic Title: Forum Migration Problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 April 2014 10:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 April 2014 10:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jarathoon

I have raised with the IET that messages from this forum system have not been copied across properly to the new community forum system. Also Message Titles have not been copied properly when there are numbers in the title.

Original version
http://www.theiet.org/forums/f...d=57275&enterthread=y

and
New Version
http://mycommunity.theiet.org/...s/viewtopic/804/14401

Message has not been copied properly, because there was a "£" sign in my original message!

-------------------------
James Arathoon
 10 April 2014 02:13 PM

jarathoon

http://mycommunity.theiet.org/...?post_id=81342#p81342

"Thank you for your feedback and please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused. We are working closely with our suppliers to resolve these issues and hope to have them fixed soon. Please let us know if you spot anything else as we would like you to experience the benefits of the MyCommunity platform."

I am really not sure the benefits outweigh the disbenefits so far.

The new community system is too cumbersome and far too clunky. I don't think suggestions that people like me have made in the past have been acted on properly. Engineers will just walk away from the system if it becomes too hard and complex too use.

By the way you cannot leave the exisitng forum system in suspension while you take weeks to fix and clear problems that should have been spotted before the full change over process was authorised by Nigel Fine.

I think we should return the the old forum system for now until the migration team sort themselves out. I can come in on a voluntary basis if expensively paid people need training in how to test software systems before going live.

James Arathoon
 16 April 2014 07:16 AM

AndyTaylor

Originally posted by: jarathoonThe new community system is too cumbersome and far too clunky. I don't think suggestions that people like me have made in the past have been acted on properly. Engineers will just walk away from the system if it becomes too hard and complex too use.

Judging by the distinct lack of activity, it would seem that you are correct, the new area is not so easy to use with forum titles shifted to one side of a page and it's hard to spot new posts. I have not seen anything that would suggest any kind of advantage to the move, is there a 'sales pitch' anywhere?

Andy Taylor CEng MIET
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.