Increase font size
Topic Title: Engineers who are Jehovah's Witnesses
Topic Summary:
Created On: 29 January 2014 07:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 January 2014 07:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jencam

Are there any semi-reliable figures for how many engineers in Britain are Jehovah's Witnesses? I make in intelligent guess that they are few and far between.
 29 January 2014 08:31 PM

cookers

Why pick out Jehovah's Witnesses? many engineers believe in the supernatural, they are human after all!
 29 January 2014 09:11 PM

Zuiko

Regarding scientists (and no reason to suspect that the figure for similarly qualified engineers will be different):

A Royal Society survey found that about 3% of fellows believed in a god(s).

Edited: 29 January 2014 at 10:23 PM by Zuiko
 30 January 2014 12:10 AM

kengreen

I believe the figure to be much higher !

The original Head of BBC Eng. Training Dept. was a member of Plymouth Brethren but I never saw any sign that the ubiquitous electron gave a damn.

Ken Green
 30 January 2014 01:05 AM

mbirdi

Originally posted by: Zuiko
Regarding scientists (and no reason to suspect that the figure for similarly qualified engineers will be different):

A Royal Society survey found that about 3% of fellows believed in a god(s).

Presumably that means the rest believed they were god(s).
 30 January 2014 08:16 AM

jencam

Originally posted by: cookersWhy pick out Jehovah's Witnesses? many engineers believe in the supernatural, they are human after all!

I have been under the impression for a long time that scientific and technical careers generally don't appeal to Jehovah's Witnesses. They appear to gravitate more towards arts and cultural subjects. Construction skills are highly valued within the movement because they like the ability to build Kingdom Halls with minimal outside help.
 30 January 2014 02:08 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: mbirdi
Presumably that means the rest believed they were god(s).

No, generally the belief came about when they were in the quagmire with some serious engineering problem. Things were heard to be said along the lines of "dear god oh why did I take this job on".

I see no issue with an engineer having a religious faith because thus far science has not answered '1%' of 'all' the questions there are to be answered, however each to their own. I have many discussions with JW's and whilst I do not subscribe to their faith I do respect it.

Regards.
 08 March 2014 07:18 PM

jencam

Originally posted by: westonpa
I speak a lot with Jehovah Witness's, for example, and I have yet, over 30 odd years, to hear one of them say, even once, that it's a waste of time re quoting from the bible or else re researching answers about god. I guess they really believe they are working for the better good.

I have many discussions with JW's and whilst I do not subscribe to their faith I do respect it.

Is there a reason why you speak a lot with Jehovah's witnesses? They are not exactly the sort of people the average Joe encounters every day, and there are probably fewer Jehovah's Witnesses in Britain than people with Asperger syndrome. The last time Jehovah's witnesses were knocking on front doors in my part of town must have been before the millennium. Several years ago my son asked the recycling collector if he had come across any discarded copies of Awake or Watchtower magazines as an indication of Jehovah's witness activities and he hadn't seen any in neighbourhoods where he worked.

It's next to impossible to reason with a Jehovah's witness because they are 'professionally' trained to think and talk in a certain way. Another not very well known fact is that the Jehovah's Witnesses have their own specific bible - the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures - that is not used by any other religion.
 09 March 2014 01:56 PM

westonpa

"Is there a reason why you speak a lot with Jehovah's witnesses?"

They like to talk and so do I ; I talk to a lot of people and JW's are some of those people.

You suggest they are difficult to reason with, fair enough, but I am not trying to change their thinking or their faith and I am comfortable enough with my own beliefs for them to be challenged and discussed. I never enter a conversation to try and modify the other persons opinion on something, that is for them to do if they so wish, and instead I just like to have the discussion; maybe I will learn something and I have no issue with that.

Politicians are professionally trained to talk in a certain way; I think most wars have been started by politicians. The very rich business women/men generally keep their wealth by using professionally trained people who use every trick in the book to avoid paying proper taxes or else sometime pay proper wages. Many top financial people seem to be professionally trained to accept obscene wages for failure. Thus far no JW has caused any negative consequence to either myself, family or friends whereas politicians, financial people and very wealthy people have caused lots of issues for millions of people, so if I am going to correct a few things then the JW's would not even be on my list.

Regards.

Edited: 09 March 2014 at 02:05 PM by westonpa
 09 March 2014 10:51 PM

jencam

Originally posted by: westonpa
They like to talk and so do I ; I talk to a lot of people and JW's are some of those people.

Intriguing. Where do you find your Jehovah's Witnesses?

My experience of them is that they talk, and talk, and talk, but they are reluctant to listen to anything. Therefore it's hard to hold an intelligent conversation with them. They only like to talk about stuff from the Watchtower movement, or more precisely, what it has told them to say.
 10 March 2014 02:04 PM

westonpa

I used to live in one part of the town where I currently lived and JW's used to knock on doors in our area and we started talking; those discussions went on over 2 - 3 years. Later on and after a stint away, for full time study, when I came back to the area I was in another part of the town and again some JW's, but not the same people, came knocking on the door and so we started talking; the rest is history. I have yet to meet a person who I could not strike up a good conversation with face to face and in which both sides did not listen to each other. I am not challenging their faith but equally I am not taking it up myself. We do however have some common areas of interest and agreement and I am more than happy to discuss those.

Regards.
 10 March 2014 05:06 PM

Zuiko

Invite them in, put a copy of Razzle on the coffee table, babestation on the tv, and start talking about your upcoming dirty weekend in Brighton with a visiting German couple. They won't come back.

Or talk about a visit to the jurassic coast to dig up some dinosaur fossils. That gets rid of them even quicker.
 10 March 2014 10:55 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: mbirdi
The problem I found is they wouldn't accept my point of view and now won't cease knocking on my door every two weeks; even after I'd expressed no interest in corresponding with them.

Well maybe they have their Lord's mixed up!

Regards.
 11 March 2014 08:30 AM

jencam

When my son was a young teenager he said that if Jehovah's Witnesses called round he would invite them in and show them his bookshelf. They always say that they don't need to know XYZ about all sorts of deeply technical matters but they just need the Bible - their own special Bible but they like to keep a bit quiet about this at the outset.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.