IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Utopia may be impossible, but The Venus Project is a realistic and necessary solution
Topic Summary: Understanding the future and the importance of clear language
Created On: 21 January 2014 11:36 PM
Related E&T article: Achieving energy utopia: Are self-powering buildings the answer?
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 January 2014 11:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TheFuture

It is wonderful seeing The Venus Project being mentioned in E&T however it is important to use clear language when describing it.

Quoting their FAQ "The Venus Project is neither Utopian nor Orwellian, nor does it reflect the dreams of impractical idealists. Instead, it presents attainable goals requiring only the intelligent application of what we already know."

I hardly feel that humans are even capable of comprehending utopia. After-all, it implies final development or perfect. We are still in our technological infancy and are just now learning how to create nano-materials. Instead we should focus on using sustainable or cradle to cradle design. Designing our cities so they are easy to upgrade, tear down, or even move as we continue to develop new technologies.

A resource based economy is the next step in advancement as humans transition from the industrial age to the technological one and outgrow the economic systems that are smothering growth and progress.

I encourage everyone to continue learning about the solutions The Venus Project with an open mind. In fact, just keep learning and questioning the world around you. We have plenty of problems, let's work together on solutions.
 22 January 2014 12:57 AM

kengreen

There is truth in what you say but first we must bring back the mantra of my boyhood: Learn to say exactly what you mean and to mean exactly what you say.

That means a need for a new generation of educated teachers.

Ken Green
 22 January 2014 07:37 PM

mouled

Hmmm some nice thoughts, but woefully inadequate I'm afraid. This effort to be sustainable is less than a drop in the ocean if you had any understanding of what China, India, Russia and the US are pumping out every single day in carbon.

1000 homes. It's nonsense I'm afraid. And it is right to be called utopia, because we will never get there with this I'm afraid.

Instead, we should be putting our efforts into the unlimited free energy underneath our feet. We have been blessed with a planet with a core so hot it is more than molten - it is plasma. We don't need to go far down to get unlimited heat from right beneath our feet. It's there waiting for us. Nothing else is as sustainable, or as scalable.
 22 January 2014 07:40 PM

OMS

Nothing else is as sustainable, or as scalable

Other than solar energy perhaps ?

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.