Topic Title: the reason for failures
Topic Summary:
Created On: 19 September 2013 11:44 AM
Related E&T article: Voice recognition comes of age
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 September 2013 11:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kengreen

today I rely very heavily on Dragon naturally speaking; it is undoubtedly a miraculous bit of software but it has one drawback in that it it is extremely irritating with its insistence that the American way of speaking is all-important. For example every time I dictate "all" this perishing Dragon adds the word "of" - and that is one of its lighter sins!

For me the criticism is summed up in an old saying "you can't see the wood for the trees". Its programmers have tried to be helpful but, in a manner that seems to typify America, it goes over the top and in fact impedes rather than helps. I have of late been going through it's listing of words and phrases and pruning it which I believe is beginning to tame its tendency to take a running jump at a guess and land itself every time neck deep in the brown stuff.

It is usually quicker and certainly less irritating to intervene with the mouse and keyboard rather than to struggle with the almost endless list of commands - I am a fervent believer in "keep it simple".(Microsoft in particular take note.)

Ken Green
(Cornwall UK)
 19 September 2013 01:44 PM

westonpa

I take your point Ken, but let's be a little extreme here and suggest that if we were to have kept things at their simplest then we would still be in caves, because in the beginning was the simplest way of all. So if we now move on from there and develop then in most cases that development is just more complication and therefore to over complicate things is neccessary if we want to move forwards in the manner we currently do. So if we then think well how simple is simple, i.e., how simple should be keep the development we do undertake, then it becomes subjective unless it is otherwise covered by an agreement, standard, law, etc., and that is the issue. Technology is invariably developed for the 'young' and for them many things are 'simple'.

Regards.
 19 September 2013 02:32 PM

HKafeman

I ran Ken's comment past my associate who is an expert in Voice Recognition and he commented:

It is technology! and quite sophisticated technology at that.

The potential for enormous frustration levels is the key reason why a very high proportion of those who merely "open the box, load the software and go" fail to persevere and give up. Professional advice for installation & configuration, voice profiling and training of the basics can get you started productively. Ken has discovered the hard way that attention to detail in managing the vocabulary will pay dividends - he has yet to discover the many ways that we at TalkingPoint can "keep it simple". There are apparently 2500 commands now in Dragon Professional (how many might you remember?) - But you can achieve 95% of what is necessary with less than 20.

Speech Recognition can save enormous amounts of time and money - when professionally implemented. Speech recognition can drive you "nuts" when implemented on a DIY basis (which, even when successful, invariably leads the user to think of speech recognition only as a "mouth typewriter", which represents perhaps 25% of what is productively achievable from this sophisticated technology).

For more information contact Jim Robinson directly at TalkingPoint Ltd. http://www.talkingpoint.uk.com/ +44 (0)1908 565663

Regards
Henry Kafeman

-------------------------
Henry Kafeman

HDK Solutions Ltd.
Investigate, Analyse, Resolve
Tel: +44 (0)1908 866921
 19 September 2013 11:10 PM

kengreen

I beg to differ.

That Dragon offers 2,500 words of command is exactly my complaint/point ! Ther prolgram worked fine at fist until I started to transcribe a lengthy technical project since whence ikt has grown too damn clever for MY good ! It has become the embodiment of my contention that the word "intelligence" should be banned from scientific engineering literature.

My original computer Win95 crashed regulary at least 3 times per day until partitioned the HD, separated the OS from my Data and so cut down the search requirments which were the cause of all the twicker-nisting.

I am sweating my way through this on keyboard and mouse because Dragon is runnin g sl far out of controll as to be useless. My immediate next job is "uninstall" Dragon and re-istall wikthout ermissions to insruct me in my area of experise.

Ken Green
 20 September 2013 11:20 AM

HKafeman

Ken

Microsoft officially ended its support for WIndows 95 over 11.5 years ago at the end of 2001.

The last version of Dragon supporting Windows 95 was v4.0 from 1999. Which version are you using?

Also, my associate says that Dragon does not work properly on WIndows 95.

So please consider updgrading and note his comment that you need to concentrate on around 20 most used commands to keep it simple.

Regards

-------------------------
Henry Kafeman

HDK Solutions Ltd.
Investigate, Analyse, Resolve
Tel: +44 (0)1908 866921
 20 September 2013 11:45 AM

westonpa

Now come on Ken, Win 95 in 2013. Get yourself a new PC and up to date operating system.

The up-to-date systems are easier to get to use and are more stable and I think nowadays you can buy something from the main suppliers whereby they will install and set it up and then give you a quick intro to get you started.

Regards.
 21 September 2013 12:32 AM

kengreen

oh dear,

Now we have moved on to the part where people can't be bothered to read what I wrote! My computer is one of the latest from Dell running Win 7 with a 64-bit filing system. Without a doubt it suffers the usual Microsoft illness - bloat and even the bloat is bloated. To make matters worse Dell have imposed applications of their own and the two fight for supremacy and so make a total nonsense of the filing tree

In fact it much more difficult to handle than my long retired Windows 95 which suffered from its load of 1500 basic files. Windows 98, to which I was forced to migrate, boasted a much easier total file load of 25,000 basic files. Win XP, which in fact was fit only for playing games, multiply this number by either 3 or 4 (can't remember which) but it certainly explained the (well-hidden) fact that XP crashed on a regular basis and took refuge in the RESTORE facility: I tumbled to this when the document on which I was working disappeared completely for approximately 1 minute and took with it my partitioning-plus data.

As I said Dragon has abandoned its plaintive call "please say that again" and now indulges in the fun of the running jump.

Ken Green

To be honest Dragon surmounted these difficulties very well indeed until I began to ask it to print technical terms which only appear in the form of English(UK.). I opened the personal profile and replaced all the various files which were loaded when I first installed dragon; the pleasing result was that Dragon accepted the leash once again but it remains infected with American syntax.

Alas, I must accept that there are some things up with which we must bear!
 21 September 2013 03:22 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: kengreen
Now we have moved on to the part where people can't be bothered to read what I wrote! My computer is one of the latest from Dell running Win 7 with a 64-bit filing system. Without a doubt it suffers the usual Microsoft illness - bloat and even the bloat is bloated. To make matters worse Dell have imposed applications of their own and the two fight for supremacy and so make a total nonsense of the filing tree.

No Ken, you wrote "My original computer Win95 crashed regulary at least 3 times per day until partitioned the HD, separated the OS from my Data and so cut down the search requirments which were the cause of all the twicker-nisting."

There is nothing in there to indicate you had a new PC with Win 7 etc. You gave a poor brief, but we forgive you!

Regards.
 21 September 2013 09:45 PM

kengreen

thanks westonpa,

Afraid I can't accept the beer because I hate the stuff. Good coffee or perhaps a brandy... YES.

In the same vein as your reply I must - really must - call your attention to my use of the past tense and the word "original". However I'm flattered to think that I need to assure my readers that I stick to a dinosaur amongst computers?...!...?...**.

Look forward to next time, :-)

Ken
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.