Topic Title: Sea levels - the myth of rising sea levels
Topic Summary:
Created On: 19 July 2013 08:49 PM
Related E&T article: Floating cities: life on the water
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 July 2013 08:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

scferg

Doesn't anyone actually do their own research and look at the evidence? The comments about the Maldivians having to live effectively on floating islands. That's not what the evidence says. And if the islands are being submerged why are they building so many houses, hotels and airports at the water's edge?

The NOAA records are quite clear - sea levels are changing by miniscule amounts - some up and some down. And there is no correlation with carbon dioxide.

Wake up and smell the coffee!!
 19 July 2013 10:26 PM

cookers

I must admit to being a little surprised when I read this, but it is just a fictional projection, not to be taken too seriously.
 05 August 2013 12:41 AM

kengreen

I think the posts on this subject so far reflect the different thinking between researchers, engineers and politicians. It proves that having a large salary and obscene expenses does not fit one to run a country.
 02 November 2013 05:33 PM

HarryJMacdonald

I don't believe it is a myth, just rather more complex than going to the seaside and looking at the sea..
But the really worrying part is that IF it is true, most of the worlds cities are not very much above sea level and there is a lot of ice around - enough to raise sea level by 70metres should it all melt.
 05 November 2013 09:50 PM

kengreen

Harry,

Twenty miles from where I sit at this moment Launceston Castle rests at the top of a mound of like structure which shows very distinct step formation in its slopes - there can be little doubt but that these were cut by wave action on a coastline. Whatever the agency which caused these several changes in sea level you can be sure that it occurs not whether landmasses are barely above sea level or a high level and above.

It would seem that you are unaware that the proffered information on changing sea levels comes from radar measurements taken from orbiting satellites. Of course such measurements mean nothing as singletons but when you accumulate a succession of such then they disclose a pattern which, however diehard be your inclinations, you cannot ignore and then seriously propose a right to post herein?

Ken Green
 07 November 2013 01:55 PM

skydanny

I think the researchers found that. However, they cannot do when a capital or city where dozens or even hundreds of years.
Want to move, they need a lot of money and time, if not impossible.
Currently a number of Arab countries have been building the city's coastline, or a few other places, I also wonder this problem.
 07 November 2013 06:47 PM

kengreen

Harry,

Me thinks I aimed my comments at the wrong person? My apologies.

Rising sea levels as well as rising land levels are not myths as evidenced by archaeological digs in deserts as well as in populated areas, in diving explorations off coastlines in the Mediterranean and the Caribbean and yet others I high up in mountain ranges. There still exists first-person accounts of such natural disasters which show that cities and their occupants are not favoured.

All these attest to life's determination to live in hope no matter the threatened or unrealised disaster? witness this in today's cities such as London and New York - to name but a few - and the daunt less rebuilding of others constantly destroyed by earthquakes. To this you can add man-made disasters such as the great Fire of London, etc

If anything reveals our helplessness in the light of "cosmological aggression" consider the wealth of information available to date reference impacts with space rocks.

Ken Green

Ken Green
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.