Topic Title: Colour blindness
Topic Summary: is this still classed as a problem
Created On: 16 April 2005 12:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 July 2013 01:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

orionrock

I have problem with red and green...

-------------------------
iphone parts,mobile phone parts
 18 July 2013 10:57 PM

CliveM

Many years ago when being interviewed for an apprenticeship I was subjected to a practical colour blindness test. I was presented with a multicore communications cable and asked to identify the colours. Of course then I don't think they had the fancy tests of today.

Clive Maude
 03 October 2013 01:00 PM

deleted_1_AngelLaHash

Well im only red/green colour blind the common one
(basically means i cant pick tomatos, small bit of green blends in to make it red)
Personally I cant see what there talking about!!

I've done a Lantion Colour Blind test and said i was ok. Green Red and Black i dont mix up
 11 January 2014 09:16 PM

Entwicklung

Hi there,

It is a shame to hear about so many people here being discriminated against suffering due to their disability. But I would like to let you all know that there is light at the end of the tunnel (even if you cant see the entire spectrum of it!!).

I'm an Apprentice with BAE Systems down in Kent, and I am lucky enough that they let me on-board even though I failed ALL BUT ONE my Isihara plate tests! I have a very severe red deficiency and was classed as a Strong Protanope by my doctor. This deficiency means I am not only unable to often distinguish red from green, but also green from brown, blue from purple, yellow from green. Many tertiary colours are lost on me and all in all, my eyes are pretty messed up. Ironically my favourite colour is red.

I made sure to ask several times during the interview if my colour deficiencies would be a problem, and they assured me it would not! I see this as definite progress, and a great sign for the future!

-Chris
 12 January 2014 02:11 PM

JoanW

Maybe the problem is the other way around, namely the traditional use of red/green coding. If as the IET info sheet suggests 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women have colour vision anomalies and are being discriminated on those grounds, perhaps they should club together (internationally if need be) and get the standards changed. It'll take time because red/green is a deeply ingrained in our culture. It can be done.

You could start by lobbying the IET.

Joan
PS. I recall that when I was a lot younger traffic lights had "STOP" written on the red lens.

JoanW
IET » Other and general engineering discussions » Colour blindness

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.