Topic Title: Wood, the fuel that keeps on giving
Topic Summary:
Created On: 24 September 2012 03:53 PM
Related E&T article: Wood: the fuel that bridges time
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 September 2012 03:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jatoal

One thing I've noticed has changed since Neanderthal times: there's a lot more of us! So, if I get this line of argument right, all we have to do is reduce the human population back to the low 1000s, and wood-burning becomes sustainable again.
Volunteers, anyone?
 24 September 2012 05:20 PM

ectophile

Where do you get the idea that wood will only supply enough fuel for a few thousand people, given that millions are already using it?

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 25 September 2012 07:47 PM

oneye

If there were only a few of us left there would be an abundance of other natural resources too...

Of course the disadvantage is the situation would only (probably) come about by almost complete annihilation of the rest of us:.....
no manufacturing or shopping .. or civilisation as we know it.
 26 September 2012 11:37 PM

Ipayyoursalary

Drax is spending $1Bn converting some of its boilers to 100% biomass.

Drax plans to spend as much as 700 million pounds ($1.13 billion) through 2017 upgrading its boilers at Selby, northern England, ordering millions of tons of biomass from around the world and building facilities to store the fuel, including four silos each bigger than London's Royal Albert Hall, a 135-foot (41-meter) high concert venue with an 800-foot circumference 

Some interesting discussions on this over at Bishop Hill

Drax at a later date plans to switch over two more units to the fuel, investments that if completed would mean the facility harvests a forest the size of wales every 1.7 years

Once again, environmentalism is leading to the wholesale destruction of the environment. Yet another price that we have to pay for our leaders' green obsessions.

I particularly liked this comment:
What they need to do is remove the moisture, compress it at high pressures to increase the density, crush it into an "aggregated" form to allow easy transport and the calorific value would be far greater than the original raw wood. I have even come up for a name for this super improved biomass: coal.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.